Jackie Chan is unarguably one of the most successful foreign actors working in Nollywood. After making it big in Chinese cinema, he moved to America and this decision benefited him hugely.
Here 12 kickass facts about Jackie Chan
1. Jackie Chan began his career as a stuntman and acted in two of Bruce Lee’s films – Fist Of Fury (1972) and Enter The Dragon (1973). He had always admired Bruce Lee from a young age and was excited when he finally got the chance to work with the legendary martial artist. In an interview, he recounted this experience. He said:
“He influenced me a lot. I admired him, and the way he would talk. He could even speak English. Everyone thought he was a god. “…He treated us lowly people very well. One day I got hurt and he rushed up to me and said, ‘Are you okay?’” “At that time, I was just a young guy and he was a really big star,” “He would talk with the stuntmen, but not me, as I was just a kid. But suddenly, somehow I got the chance to be on stage with him.”
2. Jackie Chan says the most painful injuries he sustained in his career happened on the set of Enter The Dragon, when Bruce Lee hit him with stick. He said: “As soon as the director shouted cut, he threw the sticks down and rushed to me. I was used to getting hit. I got hit every day as a stunt guy – I got punched, I got kicked. But when I saw him running towards me, I pretended [I was hurt].”
3. Famous for performing his own stunts, Jackie Chan has broken his nose three times, an ankle once, most of his fingers, both cheekbones and his skull.
4. Asides from doing his own stunts, Jackie often dubs his own voice for the English versions of his Asian films. He also dubs his Asian films in Mandarin. Is there anything this man cannot do?
5. He also has the Guiness World Record for “Most stunts by a living actor”.
6. Jackie once spent two days after a fight trying to push his bones back in place. He only later realised it was the other man’s tooth he had be pushing on the whole time!
7. On television show, he once broke twelve concrete blocks with his hand, while keeping an egg intact.
8. Again, he won a Guiness World Record for for the most film credits in his movie Chinese Zodiac. In the film, he was the writer, director, lead actor, producer, executive producer, cinematographer, art director, unit production manager, stunt coordinator, prop man, gaffer, stuntman, composer, theme song vocalist, and catering coordinator.
9. Jackie Chan is skilled in both Northern & Southern styles of Kung-Fu as well as other styles of Martial Arts including Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & Hapkido.
10. He is fluent in 7 languages: Cantonese, Mandarin, English, German, Korean, Japanese and Thai and also American sign-language.
11. Jackie Chan says he will donate 100% of his $400 million fortune to charity, leaving his son nothing. “If he is capable, he can make his own money. If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money,” he says.
12. According to him, the only two things that scare him are public speaking and needles.