A library is a building or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films and recorded music for use or borrowing by the public or the members of an institution.
Library provides access to various books, materials, resources and digital media for research, information and knowledge and it is definitely the opinions of these library architects that reading should not be done in bland or boring places, being in a lovely, beautiful, well-lit structure might help to get the creative juices flowing.
These 5 libraries are part of the worlds’ most beautiful libraries.
- Handelingenkamer – The Hague, The Netherlands: This library can be seen in its red, green and gold colour scheme as well as the dragon heads on the walls and the shapes formed by the ironwork. Although it belongs to the Dutch Parliament, the design is courtesy architect C.H. Peters who was creatively influenced by the aesthetics of China.
- Mafra National Palace Library – Mafra, Portugal: This library at Portugal might never have existed if King John V’s wife didn’t bear him children. Fortunately, she did and, true to the king’s word, Mafra National Palace was completed in 1730. There are over 35,000 leather-bound volumes that line the walls of the lovely Rococo library, which was designed by Manuel Caetano de Sousa. An interesting fact is that these tomes are preserved by bats, which are let out at night to feed on insects that might but the books in jeopardy.
- Macquarie University Library – Sydney, Australia: The library at Macquarie University is home to the first Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) in any college in the country. That means that it uses robot cranes to pick up books and take them to the front desk. It should be known that the stunning building was constructed using recycled materials and it opened its doors in 2011 and contains more than 1.8 million electronic and print items.
- National Library of Brazil – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: It is approximated that nine million items reside in this National treasure. It also ranks seventh in size amongst all other libraries around the world.
- Kansas City Central Library – Kansas City, Missouri: The enormous bookshelf that makes up part of the library acts as a major focal point of the building as well as providing an already known fact as to what’s inside. It is known as the “Community Bookshelf. There are about 50 libraries that classify as the most beautiful libraries in the world. These 5 is just to whet your appetite and let you know that some books have mansions as their homes.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY