Because of the generation we live in, which has almost everything at our fingertips these days, we have come to think that we can download a relationship just by going to the App Store.
We think that we can get all the benefits of a relationship, without putting in the time, effort or substances required to nurture it.
But the truth is, relationships don’t work that way and in time if you continue at it without any effort or care on your part; it will degenerate.
Here are a few simple tips to help enhance your chances of building a healthy and long-lasting relationship.
- Understand each other’s love languages.The 5 love languages by Gary Chapman are
- Receiving gifts
- Quality time
- Words of affirmation
- Acts of service
- Physical touch
Successful couples take out the time to understand each other’s love languages and communicate with them in that.
- Sharing important news with each other first.Whenever you have important news to share, turn to your partner, make sure he or she is the first to hear it, no matter how long it takes. Communicating and sharing the important events happening in your lives on a consistent basis shows that you consider your partner as an important member of your team.
- Being realistic with one otherA Healthy couple gives honest feedback and reality checks when required. They are always honest and realistic with one other, making sure that the other party knows.
- Expressing gratitude and affection for your partnerHealthy Couples do not take their partner or relationship for granted. You should take out time to appreciate and thank your partner for the efforts that they put to sustain the relationship. Expressing gratitude and affection for your partner on a consistent basis will make them feel reciprocated and valued for.
- Spending quality time with each otherIt is not just the hours of time that you spend with your partner that makes them feel loved and cared for but the quality of time. Couples who can be termed healthy make sure that they spend lots of quality time with each other. They give undivided attention whenever they are together and listen attentively.
- Accepting one otherOne requirement of true love is accepting your partner as they are and also encouraging them to reach their highest potential. They motivate their partners to grow but it does come from a place of love and wanting the best for their partner.
- Practising patience and kindness towards each other.Successful couples acknowledge the fact that we are all human and we are bound to make mistakes. No one is perfect and they make it a point to always come from the place of patience and kindness with their partner as much as possible.
- Handling conflicts and arguments maturelyHealthy couples know that everyone is different and no two people think alike. And they handle conflicts and arguments in a way that reflects this, maturely. They do not put their partner down, instead, they keep an open mind and try to find a solution and meet their partner midway.
- Becoming best friends with your partnerIn case you did not know, the initial high and elation of falling in love does not last forever. It is the compatibility, the intimacy and friendship that make the couples stay together for the long haul. Successful couples know this and work at being each other’s best friends. They become each other’s cheerleaders and honest critiques. They work towards common goals and support each other like best friends. They always have each other’s back.
- Understanding your emotions before you act on themCouples who have a healthy relationship take time to observe and reflect on their emotions on their own before they go and express them to their partners in hurtful ways. They take time off and respond instead of reacting.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY