She is undoubtedly one of the most versatile actresses Nollywood has produced and no one can actually get enough of this amazing actress. Mercy Johnson-Okojie started off her acting career with the movie ‘The Mai,’ and has since gone on to star in many more hit movies.
The actress who is now a mother to three beautiful kids in an old interview shared her journey into Nollywood. In her words;
I’ve had too many criticisms for saying this but I actually had just one inspiration and it was Genevieve Nnaji. When I got into Nollywood, lots of things later inspired me to do the things I do but she triggered my interest. I watched her in the movie “Sharon Stone” and I knew I wanted to act. Mercy continued saying; I had just finished Secondary school and so between that time and trying to get into the University that I launched my career.
Mercy who played a lot of romantic roles back when she was still single stopped when she got married. On why she took this decision, Mercy said it is to respect her husband. Her words;
“My husband doesn’t watch my movies. But I think he has heard about the clown I am in movies (laughter). Nevertheless, I adore him for being my backbone and supporter of my career.
”Though, for the past eight years of our relationship, I haven’t featured in romantic roles. This is because he doesn’t like it and I can’t do it for all the money in the world.”
Without further ado, here are top 5 Mercy Johnson movies we absolutely love
- Heart of a Fighter: The actress played the role of Dubem who fights ferociously like a man. Her life, however, took a turn for good when she dared the prince of the land to a fight. The movie also had the likes of Ramsey Nouah, Ruth Kadiri amongst others, in it.
- Brave Mind: The actress alongside Eve Esin, Mary Njoku, Frank AThus amongst others made this movie one many could not get enough of. The movie was released in 2012. Mercy in the movie was stabbed while having her bath, which led o many believing she was blind. She played her role well in this movie.
- Dumebi The Dirty Girl: Will remain one of the all-time favorites of many of Mercy’s fans. She snagged a 2013 AMVCA award for Best Actress in a Comedy’ award for the movie she saw her starring alongside Kenneth Okonkwo and Nuella Njubigbo.
- Weeping Soul: As expected, Mercy Johnson brought her again for this role as she effortlessly showed just how easy she could start a weeping scene. tearjerker scenes. Mercy played the role of an orphan who had to leave for the city to get a better life for herself but ended up in even more trouble. She played the naive village girl role so well, in 2012, she snagged Nollywood Movies Award ‘Best Actress’ plaque for her role in the movie.
- The Maid: This movie shot the actress to the limelight. She acted alongside veterans; Eucharia Anunobi and Clem Ohameze.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY