Actress Mercy Johnson, or MJ as she is fondly called is arguably one of the biggest stars in Nollywood. Since her emergence on the scene in 2004 with the movie ‘The Maid’ Mercy has continued to churn out great movies not for one moment disappointing her fans.
The actress who took a break to raise her family at the peak of her career explained in an interview how she was able to joggle her career alongside motherhood.
READ ALSO: 5 Movies By Ini Edo Every One Must See
In her words;
“I had planned my life right from when I was growing up. I arranged my life the way I wanted it to go. And that is why even when I was at the peak of my career and marriage came, I grabbed it because I know age keeps going and time waits for no one.
“It means that I can have all of my four kids and then still get back to shape and come back to what I love to do. So I am not going to say things like, ‘I don’t want to have kids yet’ or ‘I am not going to get married and I want to keep acting because the young shall always grow’, you are not going to be number one forever. That is why when it is time for you to do something, you do it. Yoruba will always say in their prayers that when the time for a child to talk has come, by the grace of God, she will talk. When it’s time to go to school, he will go to school. That’s what I’m trying to do. I want to define my life in a way my daughter will want to define her own life,” she said.
Mercy continued saying;
“I think what has got me this far is placing my decisions on a scale of preference. I love what I do, I adore my husband, I adore my kids, so every time I have to make a decision, I pick which is more important, and I start from there. I understand the home front is more important so I manage my home and create time to do what I have to do. I think that has helped me get this far,” she said.
Here are the top 10 movies by the actress everyone must see.
1. Heart Of A Fighter; The movie is about ‘a belligerent village girl, who fights with the ferocity of a man sees her life transformed when she dares to challenge the prince of the land. Prequel to Royal Fight.’
2. Native Fowl; The movie is about a Yoruba recharge card seller who always violently protect her Igbo boyfriend from his fellow Igbo women.
3. Thy Will Be Done: The movie sees a pastors wife who was buried seven years ago, suddenly appears on his doorstep causing major havoc.
4. Brave Mind: This movie revolves around three friends who decide to seduce each other’s boyfriends as a game.
5. Dumebi the Dirty Girl: This movie went on to become a hit for millions across the globe. The movie is about a village girl sent out of her home to find the father of her child, a financial consultant in the city. Things took a turn for the worse when she forgets her baby in a taxi.
6. Weeping Soul: Grace, the main character in the movie finds life even more difficult after her mother’s passing. She leaves her hometown for the city where she found herself in more trouble.
7. The Maid: This movie launched the actress into the limelight. The movie revolves around a family where the wife asked that her husband helps her bring in a house help who turned out to be a young orphan, whose parents died in a fire incent.
8. White Hunters: The movie featured Ini Edo, Funke Akindele and Mercy Johnson.
9. Baby Oku in America: This 2013 sees the main character Baby Oku bring her razz side to suburban America to meet with the man who impregnated her during a brief visit to the village.
10. Hustlers: The actress played the role of a young lady beaten for sleeping the husband of another woman.