Arguably one of the biggest acts in Nigeria, Tiwa Savage has become well-loved by millions across the globe.
Tiwa in an interview also opened up on the women who inspire her saying;
There are so many queens doing amazing things in the world right now…They (Oprah, Ava Duvernay, Shonda Rhimes) have shattered the glass ceiling for black women in film and TV…She (Bozoma ‘Boz’ Saint ) was one of the top executives at Apple Music and was recently made the Chief Brand Officer at Uber in the U.S.
She is one of the perfect examples of strong women who show that hard work pays, and the fact that she is an African-born woman is even more inspiring to me. She’s a respected boss, a businesswoman and manages to look fabulous whilst juggling it all.
Tiwa who lived in abroad before deciding to move back to Nigeria opened up the effect it had on her music career.
At that time there weren’t many other female artists in a similar musical lane as me. There were a lot of restrictions and it seemed that people were not ready for a female act who was very comfortable in her own skin to be making music in Nigeria.
On her goal as an artiste;
Ultimately my goal as an artist is to show young women, particularly young African women, that with hard work and belief in yourself, there is nothing you cannot achieve. I want to leave a legacy that proves that. I want young women to proudly say “If Tiwa could achieve that, so can I.
Here are 10 things you probably do not know about her.
- She was born Tiwatope Savage-Balogun
- Tiwa studied musc at Berklee College of Music. She bagged a degree in professional music at the age of 27.
- Tiwa participated in the UK edition of The X-Factor where she advanced to the final 24 in 2006.
- She has also done a couple of acting. Tiwa played a pivotal role in the MTV series, Shuga and also appeared on Funke Akidnele’s Jenifa’s Diary.
- Tiwa has worked as back up singer for so many international acts such as Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, 50 Cents, Mar J. Blige amongst others.
- She has released 3 studio albums
- Tiwa joined Mavins record in 2012 and left 2019.
- In 2014, she married her then manager, Tee Billz. However, the couple who have a son together separated in 2016.
- She has several endorsement deals to include one with Pepsi
- She has won several awards both local and international ones.