To a large extent, the friendships we create make life more enjoyable and worthwhile in the long run. A man who has the right calibre of friends can forge ahead and function better than if he were alone. Though there can be virtue in solitude, it is still vital to have friends that will always be there for you and vice versa.
These quotes below will spur you to cherish your friends more and provide you with insights into the true meaning of friendship.
1. We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone. – Orson Welles
2. I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let’s face it, friends make life a lot more fun. – Charles R. Swindoll
3. The strong bond of friendship is not always a balanced equation; friendship is not always about giving and taking in equal shares. Instead, friendship is grounded in a feeling that you know exactly who will be there for you when you need something, no matter what or when. – Simon Sinek
4. I have a loyalty that runs in my bloodstream, when I lock into someone or something, you can’t get me away from it because I commit that thoroughly. That’s in friendship, that’s a deal, that’s a commitment. Don’t give me paper – I can get the same lawyer who drew it up to break it. But if you shake my hand, that’s for life. – Jerry Lewis
5. Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. – C. S. Lewis
6. Don’t make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up. Thomas J. Watson
7. How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ’em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give ’em. – Shel Silverstein
8. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. – Albert Schweitzer
9. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. – Oprah Winfrey
10. If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.
– Winnie the Pooh
11. Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C.S. Lewis
12. True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable. – David Tyson
13. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity, before it is entitled to the appellation. – George Washington
14. Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart. – Washington Irving
15. You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you. — Dale Carnegie
16. A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. – Arnold H. Glasgow
17. I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better. – Plutarch
18. A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad. – Arnold H. Glasgow
19. To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world. – Brandi Snyder
20. Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm & constant. – Socrates
Do these quotes define your friendship goals? If so, leave a comment below.