One of the most phenomenal singers of her generation, Celine Dion rose to stardom from her Canadian roots and her since become a recognised singer from around the world. She is best known for her hits song “My Heart Will Go On” from the blockbuster film Titanic and the classic ballad “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now.”
Here are 10 facts you may not know about the songstress.
1. Celine Dion was born Celine Marie Claudette Dion as the last of fourteen. But they were a united family and shared a passion for music.
2. Celine seemed destined for music right from the very beginning. Her parents named her “Celine”, a popular French song sung by recording artist Hugues Aufray.
3. Her first performance was at her brother Michaels’ wedding ceremony. She was only five at the time but stood in front of a large audience and sang the song “Du fils des aiguilles et du coton,” originally by Christine Charbonneau.
4. At the age of 12, Celine met the man who would later be her husband, René Angélil. She had composed a demo tape with the help of her mother and brother. After recording the tape, her brother, Michael, sent the tape to music manager Rene Angelil, who he discovered on a Ginette Reno record. When René heard the song, he was smitten by Celine’s voice and from that moment, he was determined to make her a star.
5. Renil Signed Celine immediately and was in charge of her career for the rest of his life. The pair married when Celine was 19 and Rene was 45.
6. Celine Dion’s big break came when she recorded the theme song for the 1992 Disney animated feature Beauty and the Beast.
7. Celine is three months younger than her stepson, Patrick Angélil.
8. Three years after Celine lost her husband, Rene, to throat cancer in 2018, she explained that she was not ready to go back to the dating scene. She said: ‘I don’t date. I’m not ready to date. I’m very lucky and happy to have so many people surrounding me who make me laugh, but I miss to be touched. ‘I miss to be hugged. I missed to be told, you are beautiful. I miss what a boyfriend and I miss what a husband would do.’
‘Before I talk, he goes through my mind. Would he do that? Is it too edgy? Would he be approving that? I believed in him so much and I still do.’
9. Celine Dion’s most popular song is ”My Heart Will Go On” which she sang for the 1997 blockbuster film Titanic.
10. Since 2018 began, Celine has been the target of criticism over her new look. She appears to have lost a lot of weight ad looks slimmer than usual. In response to the criticism, Celine said: “Is there anything wrong about my body?”
“I do ballet. I do a lot of stretching and I work out because it helps my mind, body and soul,” she continued, “When you go back, when I was 12 years old, my face was rounder because you have more fat when you’re younger… But I’ve always been very thin.”
“If you don’t want to be criticized, you are in the wrong place,” she said. “I take the positive. I take what’s good for me. I leave behind what is not good for me. I let my management take care of that, and if it hurts anyone, they will take care of that. And I need to focus on what’s right for me, how I feel and, last but not least, you can’t please everybody.”
What other Celine Dion facts do you know? Let us know in the comment section below.