Charlize Theron is an award-winning actress who left her home in South Africa for America and eventually landed a big acting career in Hollywood. Over the years, she has starred in several blockbusters including Mad Max, Monster, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Atomic Blonde. Along with er beauty, she also has the talent to match.
Here are 10 fun facts you probably didn’t know about Charlize Theron.
1. Charlize was born and raised in South Africa. She grew up tending to livestock and taking care of animals.
2. When she was 15 years old, she witnessed her mother kill her father in an act of self defence. Her mother was never persecuted for the incident. According to Charlize, her father was an alcoholic who made life for her and her mother very difficult. She told Oprah how she didn’t let the incident define her life.
“It’s not that something like that doesn’t scar you. But scars can heal. The way my father died was traumatic. I would wish for nothing more in my life than for it not to have happened the way it did. But I can’t change that. In my late 20s, I hated talking about it because telling the story made me seem like the victim. Then I realized that if that’s not how I carry the experience, then talking about it doesn’t matter,” she said.
3. Charlize’s film idols when growing up were Marilyn Monroe and Bette Davis.
4. As a young girl, Charlize wondered why South Africa was “at the bottom of the world” when viewed on the world map. This made her want to travel and see the world because she thought she was missing out.
5. One of Charlize’s early passions was ballet. She started taking dance lessons at the age of 6. By age 12, she had joined a school in Johannesburg where she could learn ballet on a daily basis.
6. In 2017, Charlize was the seventh-highest paid actress in the world, with an earning of $14 million. She reportedly makes $10 million for each movie she stars in.
7. In a 2011 interview with CNN, She stated explicitly that she wasn’t interested in marriage. “I’ll be the first to say, here on your show, marriage—before I felt this way about this issue—was never something that was important to me. I don’t know the exact reason for that,” Theron said. Given the circumstances surrounding her parent’s marriage, it is easy to see why Charlize is not a a big fan of marriage.
8. By the age of 18, Charlize had become so invested in ballet that she decided to make it her lifelong career. Unfortunately, she had a knee injury which prevented her from becoming a professional dancer. On the bright side, she probably wouldn’t have become an actress if she succeeded in pursuing ballet.
9. At the age of 19, Charlize got discovered by a man named John Crosby. She was having issues withdrawing her money at a bank when he noticed her. This meeting with Crosby led to her first role in Children of the Corn III.
10. She had her big break in 2003 when she played a serial killer in the movie monster. This role won her an Oscar and brought her fame around the world.
If you liked these Charlize Theron facts, lets know which other celebrity you’d like to see next. Leave a comment below.