Fun Fact: Every 10% drop in your cholesterol level drops the risk of heart attack by 20% to 30%.
An increase in your cholesterol levels is bad news for your health, as this increases the risk of having a heart disease and become prone to heart attacks. Although there are medication in the market that can help improve your cholesterol condition, simple natural steps can be taken to combat them.
Lowering your cholesterol level are great tactics in maintaining a healthy heart and also help shed excess weight, thus, improving your lifestyle. This can be achieved through simple and adequate lifestyle changes and strategies that can be very powerful.
To reduce cholesterol:
- First cut down on saturated fats and overall fat intake.
- Eat lean meat and eat more of plant sourced protein, this helps in the reduction of blood cholesterol levels.
- Drink skim milk instead of whole milk.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Not more than two glasses a day. However, it does appear that drinking a moderate amount of alcohol raises the number of HDL lipids (the good ones!), which break down cholesterol.
- Do regular exercise like walking and running regularly.
- Take Vitamin E. It reduces the risk of coronary disease.
- Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grain and beans. Studies have shown that the more fruit, vegetables and other naturally-fiber-rich plant foods we eat, the healthier our heart will be.
- Cut down on refined grains, such as white flour and its products. Substitute with whole grains like whole wheat, quinoa, wild rice and kasha.
- Use poly-unsaturated, non-hydrogenated, cold pressed oil: corn oil, sunflower seed oil, soy, flax etc. A mono-unsaturated oil like olive oil can even raise your HDL level.
- Daily consumption of fish would be ideal for preventing cardio-vascular problems, as demonstrated conclusively in a number of studies on fish-eating populations.
Sometimes these lifestyle changes aren’t effective if we don’t follow them up with an iron will. It’s important to consult with your doctor to know if this natural methods is best for your lifestyle.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY