Veteran actor Richard Mofe Damijo popularly known as RMD is one actor the country has come to love for years.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the Nigerian former Commissioner and actor, Richard Mofe-Damijo:
1. RMD, as he is fondly called, was born on 6 July 1961 in Warri, Delta State, Nigeria.
I grew up in Warri with a lot of love and in a very lively environment. I was not from a rich family but my mother used to dress me up like we were rich. We didn’t have ethnic boundaries in the Warri that I grew up. In my father’s compound alone, we had tenants that were Ijaws, Itshekiris, Ibo, Ishan, all kinds. That was the beauty of Warri. It was a cosmopolitan city, where everybody was welcome. All of that is gone.
2. Richard was a former Commissioner in Delta state. He was the commissioner for Culture and Tourism.
READ ALSO: 8 Things You Did Not Know About JOKE SILVA
3. The veteran actor attended Midwest College, Warri and Anglican Grammar School. While in school, he was a member of the Drama Club.
4. He attended the University of Benin where he studied theatre Arts and bagged a degree in Law from the University of Lagos in 2004. On studying law, he stated in an interview that;
My parents wanted me to study law but I had other plans. I thought I could make a decent living with doing theatre, which was what I did. Now having done that and done it satisfactorily to a point where I could take a break, I decided to opt for something that would also expand my horizon. Education is never a loss.
I think it’s a beautiful thing to rediscover yourself or go back to school to increase your knowledge. Besides having been called to bar now, there are things that I know about my profession now that I probably would never have known. Now I can sit back and look at right issues as they affect my industry and be able to protect, not just myself, but other people within the industry.
5. He snagged a role in the 80’s sitcom “Ripples”. RMD was also a reporter for Metro Magazine and Concord Newspaper.
MUST READ: 5 Nigerian Actors You Never Knew are Lawyers
6. He won the Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in 2005.
7. He was credited as a producer and writer for the movie “Out of Bounds”.
8. RMD was married to the late May Ellen Ezekiel, a foremost Nigerian journalist. MEE passed on in 1996.
9. He is a father of 5, 4 from his current marriage to Jumoke Adegbesan and one from his previous marriage with MEE.
10. He has worked with prominent entertainment stars like Liz Benson, Desmond Elliot, Uche Jombo and Zack Orji to mention a few.