Not everyone has the opportunity to become a superstar at the age of 19, but at that age, Tom Holland has landed a role to play one of the most iconic superheroes of all time. If you love Spider-Man, here are some things you probably do not know about the actor who plays him.
1. Tom Holland had to audition against 100 other people for the role of Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War, so he had to go the extra mile to impress the producers. He said ““I basically did like a somersault into [the] frame and then a somersault out of frame ‘cause I basically—I was like, they may never see this, but…I always did a little acrobatic demo to try and convince them to give me a role.” Looks like his efforts paid off for him!
2. Tom attended the same college as Adele, Amy Winehouse, Jessie J and Leona Lewis, to name just a few.
3. Before he was cast in Captain America: Civil War, Tom Holland had already had some experience in acting. He starred in films such as The Impossible and Billy Elliot the Musical.
4. He found out he had been chosen to play Spider-Man from an Instagram post. “I was in my bed scrolling through Instagram. It had been about a month since my audition. And Marvel just posted a photo saying go to our website and find out who the next Spider-Man is. I went on the Marvel website on my computer, and there it was: The new Spider-Man is Tom Holland. I went ballistic – like, absolutely nuts,” he said.
5. Tom Holland’s favourite song is Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson. “If that song just came on now, you’d see an amazing routine,” he told People Magazine.
READ ALSO: 12 Interesting Facts About Leonardo diCaprio
6. When Tom was young, he was diagnosed with dyslexia which led to his dad sending him to a private school. His dad describes this as a “wise” decision.
7. His top 5 films include:
- Primal Fear
- The Departed
- Saving Private Ryan
- My Cousin Vinny
8. He is the youngest actor to play Spider-Man. His predecessors, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire were 26 and 27 respectively when they were cast.
9. It appears Tom was always gunning for the role of Spider-Man. When he was younger, he would wear cheap Spider-Man suits for days at a time. He said: “I definitely went through multiple costumes. I’d go to bed in my costume, wake up in it, [and] spend all day in it.”
10. He was star-struck when he got cast alongside his favourite actors. “It was just a real whirlwind to walk on set and see 30 of your favorite actors dressed up like superheroes, just having a coffee and hanging out. It was so bizarre,” Holland said of the experience.
How many of these Tom Holland facts did you like? Let us know in a comment section below.