Most people know Peter Dinklage mainly for his role on HBO’s award-winning Game of Thrones. This is due to his apt portrayal of Tyrion Lannister and the jaw-dropping manner in which he delivers speeches at award shows.
Here are some things you probably still don’t known about the inspiring actor:
1. Peter Dinklage is the only American cast member on Game of Thrones, and yet he does his part with a rather posh English accent.
2. He and Lena Headey (the actress who plays Cersei Lannister) are long time friends who met before starring in Game of Thrones. It is believed that he suggested her for the part. Perhaps we can thank him for giving us Cersei Lannister!
3. Peter Dinklage is married to theatre director, Erica Schmidt, and they have a daughter Zelig together.
4. He is a vegetarian. Speaking on his love for animals, he said,
“I like animals, all animals. I wouldn’t hurt a cat or a dog, or chicken or a cow. And I wouldn’t ask anyone to hurt them for me. That’s why I’m a vegetarian.” Indeed, he is quite vocal about animals and is vehemently against animal testing.
5. He has a common form of dwarfism, achondroplasia, which affects the bones of the arms and legs, excluding the torso. Due to this condition, he is 4 ft 5 in (1.35 m) tall. The knowledge of this affected him while growing up. He said: “When I was younger, I definitely let it get to me. As an adolescent, I was bitter and angry, and I definitely put up these walls. But the older you get, you realize you just have to have a sense of humor. You just know that it’s not your problem. It’s theirs.”
6. According to Peter, he is not a big fan of political correctness.
“I hate all that ‘little person’ shit. Call me a midget, but just be real. I am all for correct terms, but please don’t tiptoe around feelings. Don’t be too careful, because that shuts you off from people.”
7.) He is of English, German, and Irish descent.
8.) He made his film debut in the 1995 film Oblivion. He also admits to being a picky actor. “I said no a lot,” he confessed. “A lot.”
9. His big break in the movie industry was in the 2003 film The Station Agent. As a result of his stellar performance in the movie, he received the Independent Spirit and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations for Best Actor.
10. George R.R. Martin had always wanted Dinklage to play Tyrion Lannister from the beginning. In fact, he didn’t need to audition before getting his part.