Se is one f the few whose vocal prowess is not measurable in the Nigerian music scene.
Here are 10 things you probably do not know about singer Omawumi.
- Omawumi was born on 13 April 1982. Speaking in an interview with Nigerian Tribune, Omawumi mentioned she never thought she would grow up to become a singer. In her words; I did not even know I was going to be a musician. I wanted to be a teacher, but I never knew music was going to be a major career for me. I thought it was going to be a pastime. I did not think for one second that it would be my means of livelihood.’
- She hit the spotlight after she won the first runner up position in the 2007 Idols West Africa music reality show.
- She has snagged major endorsement deals since hitting the limelight to include one with Globacom, Konga, and Malta Guinness. Speaking on her endorsement deals, Omawumi told Tribune that;This year has definitely been a good year. I believe that God has a hand in everything. Even the Bible says that faith without works is dead.We put in a lot of work in 2012 and it even shocked me, I did not expect it. The first one that came was Mortein. I felt so good about that; it wasn’t just an endorsement. I had something to do, and that was to give back as a mother, which was really reassuring as it exposed me to a lot of opportunities of reaching out to people. It made me to really understand what was happening as I had to really study hard and read about malaria and more so, because it is a family brand.Glo is also the only indigenous telecommunications company that shows it is proudly Nigerian, and also Konga which is also an indigenous company that is trying to do something new and different. It’s not just about the money coming in. No be say money dey like that o; no go talk say money dey o, you know say I no be like all those people wey dey shout money money. I just know say I dey endorse brand. It’s about being associated with brands that had made impacts on the lives of people. It shows the way I have been perceived or identified and I really feel honored about it.
- Her second album, The Lasso of Truth, was reportedly a commercial success in Nigeria.
- Omawumi attended Nana Primary School before she headed to the College of Education Demonstration Secondary School.
- The singer has a degree in Law from Ambrose Alli University
- Omawumi also studied French at Alliance Francaise.
- The voal powerhouse tied the knot with her man Toyin Yusuf on 13 January 2018.
- She has acted ina couple of movies to include Hollywood/Nollywood Bongos-Ikwe production, starring Hakeem Kae Kazeem, Dede Mabiaku, and Ini Edo.
- She started her own media company with friend Waje in 2019