Have you ever been called picky by anyone and advised to lower your expectations? Or are you the type of girl that all her friends tell to get some standards?
No matter which category you fall into, we all have been in a situation, romantic or not, where we had the wrong expectations for someone.
So, here are unhealthy expectations most girls have when they start a new relationship.
- You expect him to be more emotional: As a straight woman(who is not in any way shape or form attracted to other women), you are most likely attracted to a man because he is a man. So, why do a lot of women expect their men to turn into their best female friend after a while? How do you expect a man to have the same amount of empathy, emotions, and vulnerability as a woman? A man is a man and will not act like a woman, no matter how much you desire him to and constantly nagging or complaining about the way he deals with emotions will lead to a lot of arguments.
- You expect him to be perfect: We all know that there is no such thing as a perfect human being and phrases like ‘you may not be perfect, but you are perfect for me’ found itself in the exchange of vows and declaration of love statements is very dangerous. Being perfect for someone is suggesting that your partner needs to meet every single criterion you consider worthy without any room for deviation which means that you expect them to be perfect for you, and every time they do something that you do not consider perfect they have failed in your eyes.
- You expect him to be your source of happiness: This is said by a lot of women as they at least expect one thing and that is that the relationship should make them happy which is not right in itself. Your relationship should add to your life and not distract or take away from it but your boyfriend, fiancé or husband is not responsible for your happiness. Expecting your partner to be your source of happiness is SETTING YOURSELF UP. Your happiness has to come from within yourself.
- You expect him to love you the way you love: As women, we often assume that we are the measuring bar for how love is shown and it often translates to the expectation that the way you show love is the right way and therefore he should adapt to it. People show love in 5 different languages, Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Physical Touch, and Quality Time. Know which you are and which your partner is, it will help.
- You expect him to want the same things in life: Please read carefully as we are not saying or suggesting you enter a relationship with someone that is unequally yoked to you. Compatibility is key in any relationship and so is compromising. You cannot expect to always agree with your significant other in your relationship Instead, you will have to learn to compromise in order to make things work.