Billie Eilish is one artist that can be best described as an overnight success. In a very short time, the 17-year-old has taken the music industry by storm. With her soft vocals and honest lyrics, Eilish embodies the life of the average American teenager.
Here are 10 facts about one of pop’s most sensational acts today:
1. Her full name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell. She was born on December 18, 2001, in Los Angeles, to parents Maggie Baird and Patrick O’Connell. Billie was born and bred in the artistic Highland Park neighborhood and was homeschooled.
2. She has been writing songs since the age of 11. She was part of a Los Angeles children’s choir where she developed her singing skills. “It’s [the choir] helped me learn the proper way to sing and not ruin my voice completely. But I’ve just always sung, all the time. I sang so much that my family had to shush me,” she told Vogue magazine.
3. Billie has a very close relationship with her older brother Finneas O’Connell, who is also a musician. He helps her write and produce music. Apparently, music runs in the blood as he releases tunes under the moniker FINNEAS. Describing her collaborative relationship with her brother, Billie said: “He’s my partner in crime. “Any sessions that we have, we go together. We like the same stuff, and if we don’t like the same stuff, we can tell each other our opinions.”
4. She had her big break after releasing the song “Ocean Eyes”, which was produced and written by her brother Finneas. She sent a recording to her dance teacher, who produced some choreography for the song. Her and her team went on to upload “Ocean Eyes” to SoundCloud, and the rest is history. This all happened when Billie was 15 years old!
5. Billie lists Lana Del Rey, The Beatles, Avril Lavigne, Green Day, and Justin Bieber as some of her key influences.
6. Her biggest hit till date is “Bad Guy” off her debut album. The song, which has catchy tunes and hilariously sarcastic lyrics, topped charts all over the world as soon as it was released. The song peaked at number two on the US and UK charts.
7. She teamed up with Apple in 2018 to create a special animated commercial for christmas. The three minute, clip which is titled “Share Your Gifts”, tells the story of a young woman who struggles with sharing her artistic talent to the world.
8. Billie is vegan and often encourages her fans on social media to embrace the lifestyle. However, this did not stop her from appearing on the popular YouTube show Hot Ones, where host Sean Evans interviews celebrities as they eat spicy chicken wings.
9. If you’re a fan of the young popstar, you would know she hardly smiles. She explained: “I hate smiling. It makes me feel weak and powerless and small…But you know how when you’re walking down the street and somebody smiles at you? You’re forced to smile back, that’s the polite response. It’s like you have no control over it. If I don’t smile back you’re gonna think I’m horrible.”
10. Like most Gen-Z kids, Billie is a true Belieber. She describes Justin Bieber as “my first love”. She later met Bieber at Coachella in 2019. The two teamed up for a remix of her hits single “Bad Guy”.