She needs little or no introduction in the Nigerian movie world. Actress Mercy Aigbe, since hitting our screens many years ago has continued to bless her fans with entertaining movies, year in year out.
The actress who is more popular in the Yoruba movie industry in an interview opened up on why she started out her acting career in the Yoruba movie industry.
In her words;
I didn’t choose to be in the Yoruba movie sector. I started out in Nollywood and I featured in several soap operas and movies. My career took a different direction when a Yoruba film producer cast me in his movie titled Ara. The movie became a hit and I soon began getting scripts from other Yoruba filmmakers and I couldn’t turn them down because I had just launched my career. In no time, I became a household name in the Yoruba film genre.
In between this time, I worked with Lancelot Oduwa-Imasuen in his movie titled The Other Side of the Coin.
On if she will ever stop acting in Yoruba movies, she said;
READ ALSO: Simi: 10 Unbelievable Things About Her
I can never stop acting Yoruba movies because that industry made me who I am today. As a matter of fact, a lot of people don’t know I am from Edo State. When I began featuring in Yoruba films, I wasn’t speaking the language flawlessly, so I had to learn on the job. My industry is very accommodating and that is why I would always be grateful to them for accepting me and giving me a platform to excel. I also produced a movie titled Osas in order to connect with my Benin roots.
Here are 5 things you probably do not know about actress Mercy Aigbe
1. Mercy Aigbe was on the 1st of January, 1978. She is from Edo State and the 2nd of 5 children.
2. The actress attended Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School Ikeja, Lagos. before gheading to The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State, where she bagged an OND in Financial Studies. Mercy then moved to The University of Lagos, where she bagged a degree in Theater Arts.
3. Mercy joined the movie industry in 2006 and has since gone on to star in thousands of movies as well as produce a couple of them.
4. Since her emergence on the scene, Mercy has snagged many awards to include the AMVCA “Best Indigenous Language Movie/ Series (Yoruba)” for her movie “Komfo” in 2014,.
5. Mercy was married to hotelier Ashiwaju Olanrewaju Gentry but is now separated after claims of domestic violence surfaced in their marriage. She is a mother to two.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY