Constipation is defined as the difficulty in passing stools. It is generally defined as less than 3 bowel movements per week. It also means passing hard stools, passing stools infrequently, or difficulty in evacuating bowels.
Causes of Constipation:
• Lack of fluids or fiber-rich diet.
• Ignoring the urge to pass stools
• Due to the side effect of iron supplements or anti-depressants.
• Lack of physical activities or exercise.
• Sedentary lifestyle.
• IBS (Inflammatory Bowel Syndromes)
Symptoms of Constipation:
• Hard and lumpy stools
• Less than 3 bowel movements per week
• Feeling of incomplete evacuation.
• Needing help to empty rectum such as using fingers to remove stools.
• Stomach ache or cramps in stomach
What are the treatment options for constipation?
Constipation can be treated through ayurvedic medications or advanced laser procedures. The ayurvedic treatment includes ayurvedic medicines and pelvic floor physiotherapy. At Healing Hands Clinic MCDPA procedure is used for constipation treatment.
M: Medicines: A short course of a probiotic supplement is given to increase the count of healthy gut bacteria.
C: Constac: It includes ayurvedic medicines and these medicines are given under the doctor’s guidance.
READ ALSO: Easy Tips on Treating Sleep Disorders
D: Diet: Diet rich in fiber and healthy diet is guided by a nutritionist at Healing Hands Clinic.
P: Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy: The weakened pelvic floor muscles in a female is one of the major causes of constipation. Pelvic floor physiotherapy is used to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
A: Ayurvedic Therapy: Ayurvedic therapy is done to relax pelvic muscles and anal sphincter.
It is a non-invasive treatment in which a probe is inserted into rectum and muscle activity is monitored on screen. With the help of this physiotherapist guides and trains the patient to improve defecation.
STARR (Stapled Trans Anal Rectal Resection) technique was invented by world-renowned colorectal surgeon, Dr. Antonio Longo. This procedure is performed through the anus, requires no external incisions and leaves no scars.
How to prevent constipation?
• Drink plenty of fluids.
• Eat a diet rich in fiber.
• Avoid a sedentary lifestyle.
• Do regular exercise or physical activities.
Constipation shouldn’t be something to worry about. But in case you have all this symptoms, kindly visit your clinic to let your Doctor run a check up on you. Thanks for reading