The Ostrich is fascinating in so many ways. They are not only the largest world’s birds but also the speediest land animals on two legs. Here are 10 facts you probably didn’t know about these flightless birds
1. Ostriches are the biggest birds on earth. They can weigh as much as 320 pounds and grow up to 9 feet tall. They are about a few feet taller than the emu, the second tallest bird which reaches up to 6.2 feet. They can also weigh as much as 200 pounds than the second heaviest bird, the cassowary.
2. The Ostrich is always at the same temperature no matter what the temperature of the environment is.
3. Ostriches are the fastest land animals on two legs.They can run at top speeds of about 43 miles per hour. They also have great endurance to match, with the ability to run at 30 miles per hour for 10 miles at a time.
4. While most birds have three or four toes on each foot, the ostrich has only two on each foot. This feature is supposedly what contributes to the ostrich’s good running form. Other animals such as horses, antelope, and camels also have this feature, making them some of the world’s best runners.
5. Male ostriches engage in territorial fights for a harem of two to seven to seven females.These fights lasts up till few minutes but they can easily become fatal as they slam their heads into their opponents’ heads.
6. They are found only in the savannah of Africa. Before humans became a threat to them, they once roamed all over Asia, Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. As a result of human encroachment, their range has been reduced to only sub-saharan Africa.
7. Ostriches mainly feed on plant matter but they occasionally prey upon snakes, rats, lizards, and rodents.
READ ALSO: 15 Weird and Interesting Facts About Hyenas
8. Their feathers were once used to make boas, fans, hats, and capes for women around the 19th and 20th century. Today, Ostrich feathers are now viewed as tacky rather than classy.
9. For a long time, people have have held the belief that Ostriches bury their head in the sand. This belief it is often associated with them that it has become a cliche. However, this belief is not rooted in reality. An ostrich’s head may seem to be buried in the sand from far but everything actually stay above the surface.
10. Ostrich eggs are the largest eggs in the world. They measure 6 inches in diameter and weigh up to 3 pounds.
Which Ostrich facts intrigued you the most? Let us know in the comment section below.