For a woman who battled depression, poverty and hardship, J.K. Rowling has indeed come a long way. The first series of her Harry Potter fantasy novels was rejected by 12 different publishing houses before it was finally accepted. If there’s one thing that kept her going, it was her ability to divert her focus from her misfortunes and channel all her energy into her writing.
Today this has paid off. The rest is history, and J.K. Rowling is one of the richest and most influential authors of our time. Here are our top 12 quotes from her about success, life and overcoming obstacles.
1. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default. – J. K. Rowling
2. I would like to be remembered as someone who did the best she could with the talent she had. – J. K. Rowling
3. I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized, and I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. – J. K. Rowling
4. Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. – J. K. Rowling
5. You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve. – J. K. Rowling
6. Poverty entails fear and stress and sometimes depression. It meets a thousand petty humiliations and hardships. Climbing out of poverty by your own efforts that is something on which to pride yourself but poverty itself is romanticized by fools. – J. K. Rowling
7. The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. – JK Rowling
8. We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better. – JK Rowling
9. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. – J.K. Rowling
10. Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone’s total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes. – J.K. Rowling
11. It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. – J.K. Rowling
12. I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed. Never. What’s to be ashamed of? I went through a really rough time and I am quite proud that I got out of that. – J.K. Rowling
13. You’ve got to work. It’s about structure. It’s about discipline. It’s all these deadly things that your schoolteacher told you you needed… You need it.” – J.K. Rowling
14. You’ve got to be prepared for hitting wrong notes occasionally, or quite a lot. That’s just part of the learning process. And read a lot. Reading a lot really helps. Read anything you can get your hands on. – J.K. Rowling \
15. Whatever money you might have, self-worth really lies in finding out what you do best. – J.K. Rowling
How many of these J.K. Rowling quotes did you like? Tell us in the comment sectio below.