You can head out of the city to explore the surrounding town and areas. Whether you’re after history, nature, or culture, you can get that by just taking a day trip outside of Abuja.
- Kajuru Castle: This ancient-style castle is in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by breathtaking views. It is definitely worth the three-hour trip to Kaduna State. Visitors are welcomed by a tour guide who calls himself the ‘ghost of the castle’ which appears to have been plucked right out of Scotland and planted right in the middle of a pretty village a few minutes’ drive from Kaduna.
View this post on Instagram
An honest to goodness European medieval castle, complete with towers, suit of armour, pet peacock and crocodile.🤷🏽♀️ Kajuru Castle is in Kaduna State, Nigeria. Photo by @efenzie #Travel #discovernigeria #rediscovernigeria #Wanderlust #medievalcastle #kaduna #Africa #nigeria #Travellers #phonephotograpy #travelguide #travelphotography #travelgram
- Gurara Waterfalls: Gurara Waterfalls in Niger State can best be described as nature in its purest form. The rainy season between May to September makes for the best time to visit because of the increased flow and clear crystal waters. Those who visit will be enchanted by the Falls which is home to different species of birds. It is less than two hours from Abuja.
- Usuma Dam: This place is far from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is a quiet kind of place where beautiful magic happens. The man-made Usuma Dam is around a 40-minute drive from the capital city and is located towards the north-west of Abuja. It is also heavenly for nature lovers.
View this post on Instagram
“A walk in nature walks the soul back home.” “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it.” “You're off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.” ⏩⏩⏩📷@skinj_ ➖➖➖➖➖ #hiking #hikingadventures #naijaadventurers #c9prophotography #samsungphotography #usumadam #nigeria #abuja #visionofpictures #skinj_ #oldstock #2018
- National Museum of Colonial History: The National Museum of Colonial History in Kogi State is approximately three hours from Abuja and it displays Lord Lugard’s personal belongings, and records of his administration. Lovers of history will find this the perfect day trip to see and learn about Nigeria’s colonial past.
- The Ancient Nok Settlement: The Nok Settlement is located approximately three hours from Abuja in Jaba Local government which is in the southern part of Kaduna State. It is an enthralling testament to the artistic nature and history of the Nok people, whose antiquities adorn great museums and galleries across the world.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY