Like it or not, there is every reason to be patriotic to one’s own country. As we celebrate Nigeria at 59, these quotes will reinforce the true meaning of patriotism and spur us to love our country more irrespective of the present circumstances.
Get inspired by these patriotism quotes below.
1. Patriotism is love of country. But you can’t love your country without loving your countrymen and countrywomen. We don’t always have to agree, but we must empower each other, we must find the common ground, we must build bridges across our differences to pursue the common good. – Cory Booker
2. You’re not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can’t face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it. – Malcolm X
3. A man’s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. – George William Curtis
4. “Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
5. “Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children’s children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”― Theodore Roosevelt
6. “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it.”― Mark Twain
7. Men love their country, not because it is great, but because it is their own.- Seneca
8. “The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.” ― H.L. Mencken
9. A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril. – Winston S. Churchill
10. The greatest patriotism is to tell your country when it is behaving dishonorably, foolishly, viciously. – Julian Barnes
If you like these patriotism quotes above, share them with as many Nigerians as you can in the spirit of independence day. Cheers!