Whether its chocolate bars, lollipops, or gumdrops, what do they all have in common? Answer: They’re all types of candy or sweets.
what is candy?
Candy is one of the world’s most popular sweet-tasting foods. Well, why won’t it? Sugar is the main ingredient in most candy. Other ingredients, such as honey, are sometimes used as sweeteners.
Other ingredients are used in different candies. They include milk, eggs, flour, nuts, fruit, and flavorings such as vanilla and chocolate. The kinds of candy made are almost endless!
READ ALSO: Chocolate: Everything You Need to Know
What Are the Main Types of Candy?
Candy comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors. Some candies are hard while others are soft and creamy or sticky and chewy. What’s the difference? It’s in how the candy is made.
- Hard candies, such as lollipops and lemon drops, are made by boiling sugar with corn syrup and water. Butter or vegetable oil boiled with sugar produces butterscotch and brittles. Most brittles, including peanut brittle, are made with nuts.
- Chewy candies, such as caramels and toffees, are made by boiling sugar, milk, and vegetable oil. Gumdrops are made by boiling sugar with gelatin or cornstarch.
- Candies such as nougats and marshmallows are made by whipping air into sweet syrups. The air adds volume and makes the candy feel smooth in your mouth.
- Chocolates are the most popular candies of all. Chocolate is made from cocoa bean, a type of seed. Chocolate candies are sold mainly as solid bars, chocolate-covered bars, and other chocolate-covered treats.
Three Fun Candy Trivial’s
- The simplest candy is cotton candy. It has one ingredient: sugar. The sugar is melted in a container with tiny holes and then spun very fast. The whirling container forces the sugar through the holes, making those thin threads that melt in your mouth.
- The flavoring for black licorice comes from the root of the licorice plant. Licorice is one of the world’s oldest candies. The ancient Chinese, Egyptians, and Greeks used licorice as a medicine.
- Do you know why a candy cane is curved at the top? Because shepherds often carried curved sticks.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY