Born Gabrielle Bonheur, Coco Chanel is the epitome of timeless, classic style and good taste. The famed designer and Chanel founder had strong opinions about the way that a woman should and shouldn’t dress and there is much to take away from them.
In fact, it is possible to build a wardrobe around her thoughts on style and use the key points made by Chanel on everything from the best colours to wear, to the accessory that can make or break an outfit. Seeing as Coco is one of the most important icons in fashion history, we are going to take her word for it.
So here are the ideal qualities that your wardrobe should have according to Coco Chanel.
- Simplicity: Coco Chanel who was raised in an orphanage and taught to sew is of the opinion that “Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.”
- Good Shoes: Coco had a brief career as a singer and the only money she earned from it was for singing at a café-concert. Coco knew that fashion was what she was meant to do and she opened her first clothes shop in 1910 so trust her when she says “A woman with good shoes is never ugly.”
- Black and White: For someone who had the opportunity to deal with different fabrics in an array of different colours, she said “Women think of all colours except the absence of colour. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.”
- Well-fitting clothes: Coco will be the first to tell you that Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only and she’ll also tell you that “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman”
- Be Fashionable: Coco Chanel who was known for revolutionizing women’s fashion when she invented the women’s suit says “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses alone. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
- Being Polish: Even though white, beige, gold and red are symbolic colours for Chanel, black was her favourite colour and she lets us know something about being polished when she said “I don’t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little – if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that’s the day she has a date with destiny. And it’s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.”
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY