Veteran Nollywood actress and director Joke Silva, needs little or no introduction in the entertainment industry. The actress, who was born in September 1961, is married to another Nollywood veteran, Olu Jacobs. The couple have two sons, with one Olusoji tying the knot last year.
The ace actress since her emergence n the scene has won several awards and have been nominated for many other. In 2006, Aunty Joke as she is fondly called snagged the Africa Movie Academy Awards for Best Actress in Leading Role for her character in the movie Woman’s Cot. In 2008, the stunning actress again won the award for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the Africa Movie Academy Award, this is for her character in the movie White Waters.
Aunty Joke with her life, career and experience has remained a source of inspiration to millions across the globe and we are just grateful for her.
Here are 10 things you probably did not know about this talented woman.
1. AJoke Silva was born in September 1961 in Lagos, Nigeria.
2. The actress started her education at the Holy Child College in Lagos, Nigeria before heading to the University of Lagos to study English then the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London to study drama.
3. Aunty Joke began her acting career as a stage actor. Her roles in the hit movies ‘Violated’ produced by the late Amaka Igwe and actress Ego Boyo, as well as the Yoruba film ‘Owulorojo’ shot her to limelight.
4. The veteran actress is married to veteran actor, Olu Jacobs and the couple have two sons, Ousoji Jacobs and Olugbenga Jacobs.
5. In October 2012, the United Nations appointed the veteran actress as a goodwill ambassador. Her major role as an ambassador for the organisation saw her fully participating to end the human trafficking menace in Nigeria. Joke Silva’s appointment with the UN was for three years
6. Since emerging on the scene, the ace actress has acted alongside prominent stars to include ”Olu Jacobs, Nick Moran, Scott Cleverdon, Mbong Odungide, Kate Henshaw’, to mention a few.
7 In 2006, Aunty Joke snagged the Best Actress in a Leading Role for her part in the hit movie Woman’s Cot at the Africa Movie Academy Awards and in 2008, the veteran again won an award at the Africa Movie Academy Award snagging the plaque for the Best Actress in Supporting Role for the movie, White Waters.
8. Joke Silva lost her younger sister Bisi Silva to cancer in February 2019.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY