8 Deadly Things Most Nigerians Do Ignorantly

WTF! Number 2 will shock you


Ignorance is most dangerous disease that is capable of destroying one’s entire life. The dangerous nature of ignorance can not be changed and can never be questioned.

In Nigeria, we usually do a lot of deadly things due to our ignorance.

Many people had lost their lives as a result of this. Countless properties had also been destroyed in Nigeria as a result of ignorance; The effects of ignorance outlined above are major reasons most people often succumb to this popular saying that; “What you don’t know is sure above you”. Ignorance renders us powerless in the face of whatever we don’t know most of the time. Ignorance deprives us of our rights as human being. Thus, we need to clamor for knowledge. Knowledge doesn’t only give the power, it is power on it’s own, unlike ignorance. This is why Knowing about things around us and things we use everyday is very crucial and essential at the same time.

To shorten the epistle, this article is purposely written to reveal harmful things we do without knowing. Most people do these things without knowing how dangerous they might be. Hence, the reason i chose to write this piece. What is funny about it is the fact that most of these hazardous practices in Nigeria are just like norms.

Stated below are some of the deadly (suicidal and murderous) things we do ignorantly everyday:

  • Shutting Off Kerosene Stove With Self made Air Exhaled From Mouth.


Already, a burning kerosene stove produces a poisonous gas popularly known as carbon monoxide. Could be inhaled easily through the process of shutting off the said stove with air exhaled from lung through our mouth. This very poisonous gas has numerous harmful effects on one’s health and could drastically lead to death.

Inhaling carbon monoxide can actually cause many respiratory diseases in the body. It can also cause neurological and kidney failure, including blood clots that damage the brain or other useful organs.

  • Refueling A Running Generator.


Most people are fond of doing this every time. It has become an habit amongst many people. But the fact is that, it is very harmful due to the fact that it could lead to fire outbreak in the house that may end up wasting lives. Petroleum product is highly flammable, hence a spark from the plug cable could be so disastrous. A flash of light produce through a wire by an electric current can catch up with petrol and give rise to fire outbreak. This is not limited to only Generator users, varieties of vehicles are also inclusive.

  • Careless Use Of Candles.


Careless use of candles had led to many death in the past and it is still killing on a daily basis due to carelessness. Keeping burning candles closer to flammable materials like petrol or kerosene results to fire outbreak.

It is very advisable to keep candles away from any obviously flammable things such as books and tissue boxes. Make sure you always blow a candle out before leaving a room.

  • Storing Flammable Liquids Carelessly.


Abnormal positioning of Flammable liquids, such as petrol, kerosene, or mentholated spirits is so hazardous.
Flammable liquids should be placed appropriately in the home or office to avoid contact with fire. Flammable liquid should not be kept in the kitchen or it’s environs. It is very important to read the label of any liquid substance before storing them, in order to confirm it’s level of flammability.

  • Smoking In The Bedroom.


This one is specifically for smokers. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame and eventually cause precious people their lives, as the butt may stay alit for some minutes. It could burst into flames at any time if it comes in contact with flammable materials, such as furniture, couches e.t.c.

  • Giving Children Access to Matches or maybe Lighter.


This is common among female parents. Little kids can cause a fire out of curiosity, to see what would eventually happen if they set fire on an object they see around. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children as it is written on the products by the manufacturer, to avoid any curiosity turned so much disaster. Install a smoke alarm in your child’s room if possible and practice a home escape plan with them and the entire family in case of any emergency.

  • Fixing electric appliances yourself.


I have seen some people especially in Nigeria that often tries to fix their appliances themselves even when they are not trained in that field. A slightly wrong connection of wire can turn to be disaster. Don’t try to fix any electric gadget yourself unless you are a trained specialist in that field.

Damaged, worn, cracked or corroded electrical cables/wires can increase the chance of electrical accidents in the house. Have a qualified electrician check your wiring on a regular basis just to ensure wiring is safe. Always Upgrade and replace old and faulty wires when the need arises with new one.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *