There are just so many reasons to love cats. For example, did you know that cats developed meowing as a means to comunicate exclusively with humans? Or that they can affect your health in positive way?
Clearly, cats are a special kind of species. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of attributes that will make you appreciate these feline creatures even more.
Here are 26 of them below.
1. Cats can’t taste sweetness. They are the only mammals who are unable to do this.
2. They can jump up to six time their length.
3. Cats are crepuscular, which means they are most active at dusk and at dawn.
4. In the United states alone, there are 88 million pet cats and 74 million dogs. Cats are the most popular pet in the country.
5. Indoor cats live longer than cats in the wild.
6. A cat will refuse to eat a food it doesn’t find palatable to the point of starvation!
7. When a cat curves its tail like a question mark, it is asking you if you want to play.
8. Owning a cat can cut down the risk of stroke and heart disease by a third.
9. When a cat sticks its tail up straight, almost vibrating it, this means that it is particularly happy and willing to be friendly.
10. The oldest cat video dates back to 1894.
11. Cats have up to 100 different vocalisations while dogs have only 10.
12. Cats developed the ability to meow for exclusively for communicating with only humans.
13. Cats have a longer-term memory than dogs. They learn better by actually doing rather than simply seeing.
14. If a cat is hissing during a fight with another cat, it means it is the more vulnerable one.
15. A cat learns in the same manner as a 2-to-3 year old child.
16. A group of kittens is called a “Kindle”
17. A 17-year-old cat named Stubbs is the mayor of the historic district of Talkeetna, Alaska.
18. Wagging of tails is a sign of happiness in dogs but with cats, it means the direct opposite. If your cat wags its tail at you, it’s trying to tell you that you’re getting on its last nerve.
19. If your cat crosses its tail over you, it is doing so as a gesture of friendship.
20. The world’s largest cat measured 48.5 inches long.
21. It was a crime to slay cats in ancient Egypt because they helped immensely in controlling the rat population.
22. A house cat is faster than Usain Bolt.
23. Cats can change their meows to sound like that of a human baby’s. They do this to manipulate humans, especially when they are in need of food.
24. When cats leave their poop uncovered, it is a sign of aggression and they are trying to let you know that they do not fear you.
25. When a cat rubs its body against you, it is marking its territory.
26. The ancient Egyptians considered cats a symbol of divinity.