Seyi Shay is a talented Nigerian artiste who since joining the music industry has continued to release beautiful music.
Here are 17 things you should know about the singer.
- She was born Deborah Oluwa-seyi Joshua on December 21, 1985, in London.
- She is from Ife in Osun state and is the last of 4 kids.
- Her family brought her back to Nigeria at a tender age where she attended Command High School in Maryland, Lagos.
- Seyi started singing at the early age of 6.
- Seyi was inspired to be a singer by her mum, a single parent, who was a member of their church choir and her elder sister who was a songwriter. In no time she joined her school and church choir as well.
- The talented singer performed alongside the London Community Gospel Choir during their world tour.
- Seyi bagged a degree in Business Management from the University of East London.
- She formed a female music group known as Bodicea in 2006. The group however split after two years.
- Seyi partook in a singing competition back in 2008 which saw her emerging the winner and named the lead singer of the girl band, From Above. The band was managed by Matthew Knowles, Beyonce’s father. The group disbanded in 2011.
- Seyi met veteran act Sound Sultan in the UK who advised her to return to Nigeria to build her career.
- The Right Now crooner upon her return was signed to Cecil Hammond’s Flytime Music.
- Seyi signed a deal with UK label, Island Records, in June 2015.
- She snagged an endorsement deal with Pepsi back in 2015, alongside Wizkid and Tiwa Savage.
- November 2015, Seyi released her debut album as a solo act titled ‘Seyi or Shay’ and garnered major positive reviews. Speaking on the difference between Seyi and Shay, she said in an interview with Accelerate TV that;”Well, the difference between Seyi and Shay I guess is, Shay is like how that name Shay sounds, a little bit larger than life a little bit more of Barbie, a little bit more flamboyant and more of the entertainer. Shay will always try different hair colours, different lengths of wigs and weaves, different styles and will always experiment with different clothing.Whereas Seyi is like your girl next door, never really been too much into designers that are so common or popular but more into finding new designers and new fashion, more of a pair of leggings and a T-shirt or a kimono kind of chick with the short haircut I’ve been rocking since I was 17, no make-up but clean and just sitting pretty. So that’s the difference.On stage, I’m always Shay because I find Shay to be quite entertaining and interesting. You never know what you’re going to get next with Seyi. I’m talking right now as Seyi, just in an interview, just normal, you know (laughs) playing it safe but still just normal and relatable at the same time and that’s the difference between the two.”
- She has also worked with top music producers to include Grammy award-winning producer Harmony Samuels, Del B, Hugo, Dokta Frabs, Legendury Beat, Pheelz and TY Mix.
- Since joining the music industry, she has snagged numerous awards and nominations.
- In 2013, Seyi Shay was named as the best New Musician of the year in 2013 at the City People Awards.