There is no doubt that Cardi B is a force to be reckoned with. The rapper, who just recently hosted a show in Nigeria, has a large fanbase in the country. But there are many things a lot of people do not know about the rapper. Asides from her music and her signature word “okurrrr”, here are 15 interesting facts about Cardi B.
1. Cardi B’s real name is Belcalis Almanzar. Her parents nicknamed her Belcardi. And from Belcardi came Cardi which has come to stay.
2. To show that her parents are big fans of liquor, they named her sister Hennessy.
3. Cardi’s hit song “Bodak Yellow” pays homage to rapper Kodak Black. She explains that “I named it ‘Bodak Yellow’ because the flow of the song will remind you of a song that Kodak Black did called ‘No Flockin.’”
4. At age 16, she became a member of the African-American street gang “The Bloods”, but has since disassociated from gangs
5. Ever since she came into limelight, Cardi B has been open about her former life as a stripper. She says she has no regret for being a stripper and it made her feel empowered.
“A lot of women here, they taught me to be powerful,” she said. “I did gain, like, a passion and love [for] performing. It made me feel pretty.”
“I’m glad for this chapter in my life. A lot of people always want to make fun of me, ‘Oh, you used to be a stripper!’ I don’t regret it, because I learned a lot. I feel like it matured me.” She said.
“My biggest ambition was money. That’s what these women put in my head: nothing is important but the money.” She said.
6. Cardi has confessed that she became a stripper to escape poverty and an abusive relationship. “I was living with my ex-boyfriend that was beating my a**, I had to drop out of school. I was like living with his mama [and] two pit bulls in one bedroom. It was cray.”
7. She made history when she became the first woman to have five top 10 singles at once on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart.
8. The first albums she ever bought were by Missy Elliot and Tweet
9. Surprisingly enough, her favourite artists are Madonna and Lady Gaga.
10. Cardi made a lot of money working as a stripper. She started out making making $300 in 8 hours on her first shift at the club and she presumably started earning more as she got better at dancing.
11. Her career as a dancer led her to become an Instagram influencer and it was her online presence that landed her a spot on season 6 of the VH1 reality series Love & Hip Hop.
12. Much of Cardi’s success can be credited to her big personality. As a kid, she was the class clown and was often kicked out of class for being disruptive and funny. She even claims to have made teachers cry when she left school. As for the smartest students, she says “…the teachers weren’t crying for them…”.
13. While she was stripping, she lied to her mum that she was working as a babysitter.
14. Cardi doesn’t have a driver’s license, but she has bought a bentley which she flaunts on social media.
15. Cardi B is married to rapper Offset, from the musical trio Migos, and they have a child together.
You might know more about her, please don’t be afraid ti put them in the comment box below. Thanks