Here are 15 unspoken suit rules that every Man should know and pay attention to.
- You should already know that the width of your tie should match the width of the lapel. It’s all in the balance. Thin lapels are more modern.
- A pocket square should not match your tie in either pattern or fabric choice. Remember that the pocket square is where you get the most freedom and the one place you get to add a little extra to your suit. READ ALSO: Fashion Mistakes not to Make at the Beach
- The fit of the shoulders should be the first thing to check when buying a suit. Shoulders are the hardest to fit, so make sure they don’t stick out or stick up.
- How to confirm if the suit is ill-fitting is to check the collar gap between your jacket’s lapels and your shirt’s collar
- Go for a charcoal or grey suit over black, unless it is a funeral you are attending. Dark grey is more varied and goes with a lot more colours.
- Please note that your belt should be fairly thin and the same colour as your shoes.
- For a more casual and trendy look, choose a single-button peak-lapel jacket and if you’re going for more formal business attire, choose a double-button, notched lapel jacket.
- To know your suit is the exact look and fit, you should be able to slip your hand between your chest and your buttoned jacket in such a way that it feels tight, but with room to move.
- Always unbutton your suit before sitting down unless it is going to pop off.
- The top button of a two-button or the middle button of a three-button piece should fall at or above the navel.
- If you need to wear an undershirt for whatever reason, choose one with a deep neck so it doesn’t show. Nothing will diminish the appearance of a suit more than a flash of undershirt.
- Your tie should be at the reach of the waistband of your trousers or slightly shorter.
- An important rule is making sure that your tie is always darker than your dress shirt
- Also, make sure that your socks are long enough and there’s no exposed skin when you sit down.
- A vest is best worn with single-breasted suits so that it’s actually visible while adding a formal touch to your suit. If you’re wearing a vest, keep the last button unbuttoned. Although plenty of men break this rule, they are still able to pull off the three-piece beautifully.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY