There is a general belief that happiness can be derived from material things. While this is true to an extent, such happiness is short-lived.
True lasting happiness can only come from within and depends on one’s disposition in life.
These 15 happiness quotes below will help you experience true happiness and stop searching for it:
1. The only thing that will make you happy is being happy with who you are, and not who people think you are. — Goldie Hawn
2. The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things. — Henry Ward Beecher
3. “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is not determined by our circumstance, but by our disposition.” —Martha Washington
4. “Try to make at least one person happy every day. If you cannot do a kind deed, speak a kind word. If you cannot speak a kind word, think a kind thought. Count up, if you can, the treasure of happiness that you would dispense in a week, in a year, in a lifetime.” —Lawrence G. Lovaski
5. “As people spin faster and faster in the pursuit of merely personal happiness, they become exhausted in the futile effort of chasing themselves.”
6. “I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” —Groucho Marx
7. “Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear or feel it when it comes to us. Let’s not be afraid to receive each day’s surprise, whether it come to us as sorrow or as joy, it will open a new place in our hearts, a place where we can welcome new friends and celebrate more fully our shared humanity.” —Henri Nouwen
8. “The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” —Christopher McCandless
9. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” —Carl Jung
10. Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude. — Denis Waitley
11. Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There’s going to be stress in life, but it’s your choice whether you let it affect you or not. — Valerie Bertinelli
12. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. — Buddha
13. Happiness consists more in conveniences of pleasure that occur everyday than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom.
14. If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.
15. It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.