Whether it’s Kungfu Panda that comes to mind when you think of panda or just their cute features, pandas are indeed adorable creatures. From the food they love eating to the attachment female pandas have with their young, here are 15 facts you probably didn’t know about pandas:
1. Pandas are native to only China and are an icon of the country. The Chinese government has placed several laws that protect these beautiful creatures.
2. Pandas are omnivorous animals. While they feed on fish and other small animals, a large percentage of their diet consists of bamboos.
3. They were previously listed as an endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). However, their population increased from 1,596 adult pandas in 2004 to 1,864 in 2014.
4. Pandas are solitary in nature.The spend most of theirs lives avoiding contact with one another.
5. The Chinese see pandas are a symbol of peace. In ancient times, they would raise flags with pictures of pandas to declare peace during wars.
6. Giant pandas (or simply ‘pandas’) live for about 14 to 20 years. In captivity, however, they can live for up to 30 years.
7. Male pandas can weigh from 86 to 125 kilograms while the females weigh from 70 to 100 kg.
8. Pandas spend 12 hours each day eating bamboos. This is due to the fact that the bamboo diet is low in nutrients. The eat about 12 kilograms of bamboos daily.
READ ALSO: Fun Facts About Human Body
9. Baby pandas are born pink, blind and are so small that they are just about 15 cm in length – the size of a pencil! It takes about six to eight weeks for them to open their eyes after they are born.
10. Female pandas are quite attached to their young. They stay with their tiny cubs for days after giving birth and never leave them to eat or drink anything!
11.They make several sounds including barks, honks, huffs, and growls.
12. For some hilarious reason, a group of pandas is actually called an ’embarrassment’!
13. Panda skin is very expensive costing between $60,000 and $100,000 in the illegal trade market.
14. Since pandas are native to only China, every other panda found elsewhere in the world are on loan. China stipulates that every panda taken from the country must be returned later on expand the gene pool.
15. Archaeologists have discovered that pandas evolved about 2 to 3 million years ago.
Do you love these adorable creatures? Tell us more facts about them in the comment section below.