Most known for starring in epic films such as Titanic, The Aviator, The Departed and The Wolf of Wall Street, Leonardo diCaprio is one of Hollywood’s most talented actors. Today, he has grown to become an avid film producer and also partakes in several environmental causes.
1. Leonardo gained public recognition for his performance in movies like The Basketball Diaries and the romantic drama Romeo + Juliet. The epic romantic Titanic put him further in the spotlight and gave him international recognition.
2. His full name is Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio. He also goes by the monikers “Leo” and “Lenny D”
3. His parents divorced when he was only a toddler. His was raised by his single mother, a legal secretary born in Germany.
4.His pregnant mother named him after Leonardo da Vinci because she was standing in front of a painting of the artist the first time she felt him kick in her stomach.
5. When he was approached to play Jack in James Cameron’s Titanic, he almost turned down the role at first because he didn’t think this was the kind of film he wanted to make.
6. In 1998, People Magazine named him one of the “50 Most Beautiful People in the World”.
7. Leonardo was considered to play Peter Parker/Spider Man. The role was, however, finally given to his childhood friend Tobey Maguire.
8. He was originally considered to play the leading role in the iconic film “American Psycho. The role eventually went to Christian Bale.
9. During the 2008 presidential election in America, Leonardo donated $2800 in support of Obama which is the maximum amount an individual can give during an election.
10. He is still close friends with his Titanic co-star, Kate Winslet.
READ ALSO: 10 Legendary Facts About Stan Lee
11. He was very enthusiastic about playing Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby because he loved “the idea of a man who came from absolutely nothing, who created himself solely from his own imagination. Gatsby’s one of those iconic characters because he can be interpreted in so many ways: a hopeless romantic, a completely obsessed wacko or a dangerous gangster, clinging to wealth.”
12. Leonardo has been known to date women much younger than himself. When asked if he will ever get married, he said: “That time will come when that time comes. The truth is, you can’t predict marriage. You can’t plan it. It’s just going to happen when it happens.” In an interview with CBS, he also gave a vague answer: “I mean, the truth is, it’s gonna happen when it’s gonna happen. And — and I — I — you know, I’m just gonna let it happen naturally.”
If you liked these Leonardo diCaprio facts, let us know which other star you’d like to see next. Tell us in the comment section below.