When Drake emerged on the rap scene, he changed the rap game portraying masculinity in a positive light. Today, his impact is felt in the industry and he has become one of the most influential contemporary rappers.
Below are 12 fascinating facts about the famous rapper.
1. Drake is his middle name. His full name is Aubrey Drake Graham but he uses his middle name in his career as a solo rapper.
2. Music runs in his family. His father played the drum for rock’n’ roll star Jerry Lee Lewis. His uncle was a bass player for Sly and the Family Stone, and his mother comes from a musical family.
3. Drake is an African-American whose mother is white, Canadian, and Jewish. He considers himself to be a black man but he also thinks that “being Jewish is kind of a cool twist”.
4. His parents divorced when he was five, and he was raised by his mother in Toronto.
5. Drake felt different and alone in his high school days. He went to a virtually all-white high school and he says that “nobody understood what it was like to be black and Jewish.” However, he notes that being different from everyone made him a lot stronger.
6. He dropped out of school to pursue a career in acting and only graduated high school in 2012.
7. After getting a phone call from Lil Wayne in 2008, Drake released his third mixtape and single “Best I Ever Had” peaked at #2 on Billboard’s Hot 100 Singles chart. He also released “Successful” which was a collaboration with Lil Wayne and Trey Songz and went gold and made Rolling Stone’s “25 Best Songs of 2009” list.
8. Drake and Chris Brown were once feuding over Rihanna. In 2012, things got so heated that they broke into a fight in a New York club. Both stars faced legal consequences for their actions.
9. Drake wrote a song about Rihanna. The song titled “Views from the 6” from the album “Views” was about his on-off relationship with the singer.
10. Drake’s 2013 song “Started From The Bottom” is about his personal struggle for success. As he explained in an interview, “Well, I have a couple of accomplishments. The thing that I’m the most proud of is that I was able to earn money at a very important time in my life and give my mother more years on her life, because she needed a very expensive surgery on her spine. I don’t know if we would have been able to get the same doctor and the same treatment had I not worked hard enough to make that money. So, that is what I’m most proud of, that my mother is here and she’s healthier than ever and taking vacations and smiling.”
11. In 2016, Drake broke Michael Jackson’s record for the most American Music Award nominations. He had 13 nominations which broke the record of 11 held by Michael Jackson. Since then, he has earned over 20 nominations.
12. He also holds the record for the most number-one hits on the Billboard rap chart.