He is one of the finest acts in Nigeria and we just love him.
Here are 10 things to know about singer Patorankin.
1. He was born Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie in Lagos state but originally from Ebonyi state. Patoranking was born on 27 May 1990.
2. He attended Citizen Comprehensive College Epe, Lagos, before enrolling at Jibril Martin Memorial Grammar School in Iponri.
2. He was at one point affiliated with Timaya’s Dem Mama Records. He hit the spotlight following the release of his hit single ‘Alubarika‘ featuring Timaya.
3. He signed a record deal with a label called Foston Musik in 2014.
4. He has won numerous awards to include a MAMA award, he also won the African Artiste of the year at the 2015 Ghana Music Awards, Next Rated act, Best Collabo and the Best Reggae and Dancehall categories at the 2014 Headies.
5. His stage name Patoranking was given to him by a Jamaican artist whom he met while he was still working as a street jam and carnival dancer.
A friend was playing guitar at the beach. He asked me my name. Then he called me Patoranking.
6. He has an endorsement deal with Skyy Vodka Nigeria and is an Airtel brand ambassador.
7. Patoranking is also the first ever Nigerian/African dancehall artist to sign a distribution deal with VAL Music. VAL Music is owned by the world’s biggest reggae company VP records.
8. His major influences in music include; Buju Banton, Bob Marley, Fela Kuti, Lucky Dube, Chaka Demus, Majek Fashek, Blackky, Blackface, Tuface and Marvelous Benjy.
9. He sings Patois. In an interview with Guardian Life Patoranking said;
I fell in love with the language. I think it’s a language of choice; I chose the language. I cannot be 100 percent fluent as a Jamaican but when I speak to my Jamaican friends, they understand what I am saying. They also love that I can speak their lingo.
10. He welcomed a daughter with his girlfriend back in 2017. Her name is Wilmer and is set to release an album dedicated to his daughter. He made the announcement via an IG post which read thus;
My blessing from above,
Before I was introduced to you,
I knew you,
My new tribe,
Steps we took,
Days I flew,
We are glued,
Through unconditional love,
Our souls intertwined,
Our bond, purest at its core,
In disbelief that you are mine,
Through my obstacles in Cotonou,
Hustling with Grandpa
From there I came,
Product of Ebute Metta,
Hope for the ghetto youth
I write you this letter in hopes you understand your greatest value,
Of importance and bravery,
Forged in rich heritage,
A Champion that’s who you are
Remember to pursue your greatest potential,
In you there could be a Yaa Asantewaa,
A spark similar to Michelle Obama
Flawed I am not,
For your eyes cloak me in deep comfort,
Whilst Kampala airport remind me that I am Black, A Nigerian
The beauty lies in the fact that you see me
Past all that,
All that identifies as unworthy,
For in you there is strength,
Drawn by raw emotion,
Magnificent in all your humility,
In all the changes you made in me,
Separated by an influx of differences,
Surrounded by infinite love,
My peace of mind,
The exception to the rule,
My best body of work,
Art imitating life,
Father to Wilmer
This is Wilmer,
Daughter of Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie aka Patoranking
Thanks for reading.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY