Born Enetimi Alfred Odon, Timaya needs little or no introduction in the Nigerian music industry.
Here are 10 things you should know about this talented artiste.
READ ALSO: 8 Things You Should Know About Davido
- His real name is Enetimi Alfred Odon. He was born on the 29th of November 1977 in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. Timaya, as he is fondly called now, is the youngest of 15 children by his parents.
2. Timaya’s dad worked as a banker while his mum was a trader.
3. He broke a lot of house rules during his secondary school days just so he could attend music events that mostly took place at night.
“I was born into a fairly comfortable family but I was a rebel and I often ran away from home.”
I ran away from my father’s house when I was 14years. I was stubborn and dreamed big. I am the last child in a family of 15 children and my father wanted me to become a banker like he was. But I had other ideas. I couldn’t imagine sitting down at a spot and monitoring other person’s money. I loved entertainment and was not ready to compromise my dream for anything else. Besides I wanted freedom from my domineering older siblings who wanted to turn me into an errand boy. So everytime there was a show in town, I’d sneak out to watch the show and when I come back the next morning, my mother would want to kill me.
Timaya also won quite a number of awards during competitions he partook in, in school.
4. He sang backup for rapper Eedris Abdulkarem back in the day.
5. Timaya has revealed that Namse Udosen was one of his music mentors in the early 2000’s. He has also named Bishop David Oyedepo as one of his role models.
“That would be Bishop David Oyedepo. I attend Living Faith Church, aka Winners’ Chapel, and I don’t joke with the activities of the church.
As much as I can, I make sure I attend as many of their services, crusades, and other programmes whenever I’m in the country.
6. Timaya is also an award-winning songwriter and music producer.
7. He sold plantains at some point so he could make ends meet.
8. He hit the limelight with the song “Dem Mama”
9. He has snagged many awards to include ‘Album of the year in 2008, Best dance-hall/Reggae album in 2009, best Collabo in 2009, and also best collaboration in 2010.’
10. He was once a sex toy for an older woman.
First, I lived with a woman older than me in Port-Harcourt before I became the Timaya that you know today. I’d been singing all these while but I hadn’t made the any hit. I was writing my songs and hustling between studios. The woman accommodated me after I was thrown out by my landlord. And all through my stay, she fed me. Of course she handed me rules and regulations. I must be in the house by 7 pm and she slept with me whenever she wanted, whether I liked it or not. And the day I say I’m tired, she’d sanction and threaten me for daring to go do with some else. These are some of the challenges I faced that most people know nothing about.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY