He needs little or no introduction as since his emergence on the scene many years ago, he has gone on to churn out educating and interesting movies.
The ace Nollywood actor, producer and director, was born on 30 September 1974 in Kwara State and is of Igbomina-Yoruba descent. He is also the son of the famous theatre and film director and producer Ade Love.
Here are 10 things you should know about Kunle Afolayan.
1. The actor was born on the 30th of September 1974 in Kwara State, and is of Igbomina-Yoruba descent.
2. His father is the late famous theater and film director and producer Ade Love.
3. Kunle has other siblings in the movie industry to include Aremu Afolayan, Moji Afolayan and Gabriel Afolayan.
4. He bagged a degree in economics and worked in a bank, He also took a course at the New York Film Academy.
5. His father neevr wanted him in the movie world.
I don’t know if he saw it coming but it was something he totally discouraged and we never spoke about it. The closest to that was when I travelled with him to distribute his film to vendors outside Lagos. It was even because he was short-staffed at the time that he asked me to go with him. I have been in this business since I was 14 years old or thereabout, and through that, I have been able to learn the business, tricks and art of making films. Perhaps I picked one or two things from his films but we never had any conversation on making films. He only always told me to go to school.
6. He has worked alongside top acts like Chika Okpala, Jike Silva, Wale Ojo, Lydia Forson and Nse Ikpe Etim to mention a few.
7. He loves vintage cars.
I have always liked vintage cars but I really got into it after I made October 1. One of the reasons was because when we were making that film, it was quite difficult to get vintage cars in this country, except one went to South Africa. In SA, they have a lot of them preserved. But in Nigeria, we only have private collectors. And that was why I got into it.
8. If he had not become a filmmaker, he may have gone into music.
Maybe a musician because when I have the opportunity of holding the mic in public places, I sing and I also play a few musical instruments. I know a lot of people would want to see that aspect of me but my kind of person usually doesn’t force things to happen; they just happen naturally.
9. He has won several awards as an actor and a producer.
10. He sees himself as a free-thinker when it comes to religion.