Veteran Nollywood actor Olu Jacobs was born as Oludotun Jacobs on 11 July 1942 in Ogun State, Nigeria. Since his emergence on the scene over three decades ago, the highly respected actor has gone on to win several awards and was also honored with an Industry Merit Award for outstanding achievements in acting at the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
Olu Jacobs who has been married to his wife actress Joke Silva for many years, opened up on what has been keeping them going during an interview.
In his words;
It is God. There are other forces outside that you need to take cognizance of but when you do, you have to make sure that they don’t take control over your life. You are now thinking for two. No decision you take should be for yourself alone. It’s for two and it must remain for two. You have to always remember that. If my wife goes out, and she finds out that she would not be able to make it back at the time she initially thought she would, she picks up the phone and calls me to tell me. Fine! You are thinking for two, she knows where I am, I know where she is. We still do this till tomorrow. Communicating like that helps a lot, once we are talking, you have an idea of where I am and I have an idea of where you are. I am not saying that it should be every minute calls. Sometimes just being together in a room not necessarily saying anything is also important.
Here are 10 things you should know about Olu Jacobs
1. He was born Oludotun Jacobs on 11 July 1942 in Ogun State.
2. Uncle Olu as he is fondly called attended the Holy Trinity School in Kano, Nigeria. before heading to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London.
3. He acted in several British television series and international films including The Goodies, Till Death Us Do Part and The Tomorrow People.
4. Olu Jacobs won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in 2007.
5. He is married to Nollywood actress Joke Silva and they are blessed with two children.
6. His first ever movie was produced by AA production; and titled “Vigilante”.
7. Olu Jacobs was honoured with the Industry Merit Award for outstanding achievements in acting at the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
8. He has worked with top acts such as wife Silva Joke, Ini Edo, Desmond Elliot, Chiwetalu Agu and Genevieve Nnaji to mention a few.
9. In an interview, he mentioned that his parents did not support his dream of becoming an actor.
10. He has starred in over 200 Nollywood films.