Nigerian singer Dr Sid is one act that proved his worth while he was still very much in the music business. Sid who has somehow gone MIA, is also a qualified doctor and was born Sidney Onoriode Esiri but popularly known by his stage name.
Sid who was formerly a member of Trybesmen in an interview opened up on how he joined the label.
It was very interesting, because we had met when I was still in Da Trybe and went to London. I was in school doing an elective at the Kings College, Dentistry, in the UK and met up with , and at that time, they were doing big things with , and we bonded on several levels.
So the 419 squad split up and and returned and they obviously needed someone who was on the ground, so we rolled together, worked together, and the music took the country by storm.
When I was in Da Trybe, I was recording an hip-hop album, called the , which never came out, so then I joined Mo-Hits Records, D’banj was like I should come through but Don Jazzy did not want me to join in the first place.
Don Jazzy used to do shakara for me that year, he is generally a shy guy, so if you don’t take time to know him, he can come across as being arrogant, but we bonded quite well overtime and became very close.
It was D’banj who felt there was a lot of benefit to have someone already familiar with the industry join the team.
Here are 10 things you should know about the singer.
READ ALSO: 10 Things you Should Know About Naira Marley
1. He was born on 1 May 1980 in Ikeja, Lagos.
2. Late Nollywood veteran actor, Justus Esiri was his father and his mother is a successful fashion designer.
3. In 1999, he was signed snagged a deal with Trybe Records then joined Trybesmen as a backup dancer and choreographer.
On what he learnt from the group, Sid in an interview Sid;
I learnt how to be a team player, the essence of being part of a movement that is bigger than the one individual and most importantly loyalty.
I still hang out with the guys from Da Trybe once in a while, we have a very good relationship.
4. In 2002, he hit the limelight after performing the song“OYA” alongside Sasha, 2-Shotz and the Tyrbesmen.
5. Sid graduated from the University of Ibadan in 2004 and became a qualified dentist.
6. He worked with Lagos University Teaching Hospital then proceeded to Yola in Adamawa state for his NYSC.
7. He left the medical line in 2007 then went on to sign a deal with Mo’Hits Records. He was on the label with Don Jazzy, Dbanj amongst others.
8. He married his woman Simi and the couple now have 2 kids.
9. His hit single “Over the Moon” topped many charts across the country.
10. He joined Don Jazzy’s label Mavins which housed other top acts like Tiwa Savage, Reekado Banks, Korede Bello amongst others.
Do you know more about Dr Sid? Share with us in the comment section.