Ace disc jockey DJ Spinall (Sodamola Oluseye Desmond) since emerging on the scene a few years ago has continued to prove he deserves the top spot where he is currently living.
On how he got into music, Spinall in an interview revealed he subconsciously picked it up in high school.
In his words;
Music had always been there for me, growing up. Dad had a big stereo in the sitting room and we were always listening. Subconsciously, I kind of picked it up. In high school, I was a social prefect. My job was to make sure there was constant fun, so I wanted to do something new, fresh. I hired a DJ and it kind of blew my mind. I’d never seen a live DJ perform. I’d never seen what they do. Seeing him do it live. . .it motivated me. I had to learn how to do that. So I learned how to DJ.
From there, I got radio gigs and started doing Industry Night. Industry Night back home is a weekly event that showcases upcoming and established talent. I was the DJ for 5 years and it let me build up trust with my audience that I was good at what I was doing. Then, I started making my own records, touring, and all that.
On if DJing was a thing when he started, he said;
No. People just thought it was a hobby, like we were just people who were excited about music. They thought DJs would end up in the club and die in the club. They didn’t have any expectations. When I started as a DJ, no one thought anything. But I’ve always had different notions. I wasn’t going to be a regular DJ. I wanted to be innovative.
Here are 10 things you should know about DJ Spinall
1. Known for his Cap, The CAP in the actual scene means; The Crazy Azz Party (and not the cap on his head)
2. He bagged a degree in Electrical Electronics Engineering from Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye Ogun State.
3. Spinall was signed to the management company State of Mind Entertainment owned by Tobi Sanni-Daniel
4. Before hitting the spotlight, the ace DJ woked as a DJ at Ray Power and Eko Fm.
5. Spinall got the inspiration for donning his traditional cap from his dad as a little kid.
6. He bagged a major endorsement with Smirnoff
7. After DJ Jimmy Jatt, he became the next DJ to embark on a solo US tour performing. He performed at cities like Houston, Washington DC, Atlanta and New York City.
8. Spinall is one of the first African DJs to play at the South by South West (SXSW) concert in the United States of America.
9. Spinall sometimes is very shy
10. He also does not like road trips.