Nigerian rapper Jesse Jagz was born in 1984 and since his emergence on the scene, has been dubbed as one of the few intellectual rappers the country has
On how he got into the industry, Jagz stated in an interview that;
Is there an industry? I wasn’t aware(laughs). Well I have been doing music for a while but professionally since 2001. I have gone through different phases from Jos, to Abuja and then Lagos. MI and I started inner hub studios, loopy records and Rytchus Era Productions (REP). I got signed to chocolate city in 2007. However, by then I had probably made like 5 albums-hopefully no one gets to hear them- and had music on the radio round the country. My first mainstream album (Jag of All Trades) came out in 2010. So I would say I have been around for quite some time.
Here are 10 things you probably do not know about Jesse Jagz.
1. He was born Jesse Garba Abaga. ‘Jag’ in his stage name is an acronym for his names: J- Jesse, A- Abaga, G-Garba.
2. Multi-award-winning rapper M.I is his older brother
3. Jagz in an exclusive interview with Pulse TV, revealed he has plans of releasing six albums within three years.
“At the end of my current 3 year contract with Chocolate City, I will have released 6 albums, two every year”.
4. He has three studio albums: ‘Jag of All Tradez’ (2010), ‘Jagz Nation, Vol.1. Thy Nation Come’ (2013) and ‘Jagz Nation Vol. 2: Royal Niger Company’ (2014).
5.The rapper left Chocolate City Music following the end of a two year record contract with the label. He however made a return to the label in April 2015.
6. After leaving Choc City, Jagz set up his own imprint called Jagznation.
7. As a producer, he has worked with acts such as Banky W, Djinee, Faze, Ice Prince, M.I and Mode 9.
8. He has snagged many nominations and awards
9. The rapper has a daughter with soul and afrobeat singer Ruby Gyang. On having a child at a young age, he said;
Honestly, looking back now I don’t know. There is no manual for men concerning that, lol. However the greatest thing I learnt was responsibility and that shame doesn’t kill. Nothing is a mistake unless you make it so. Everything happens for a reason. Jade was meant to be my daughter in this life. One look at her and you can just tell.
10. He is from Taraba but was raised in Jos.
Thanks for reading!