Nollywood actress Rita Dominic since her emergence on the scene many years ago has remained fans favourite.
The actress has gone on to star in numerous hit movies as well as produce some of hers.
Here are 10 things you probably did not know about Rita Dominic:
1. The actress if from a royal family. Rita is a member of the Royal Nwaturuocha family of Aboh Mbaise local government area in Imo State.
2. She is the youngest of four siblings.
‘It was fun growing up. I am the last child. My elder ones were not born here, they were all born and brought up partly in the UK. I was the only one born here and raised here. I grew up with my cousins. A lot of my cousins were leaving with us. So I grew up with them. It was a fun childhood. I was just a normal kid.
3. Rita’s parents, who are late now were medical practitioners; her dad was a doctor and her mother a nursing officer.
4. The actress had her secondary education at the Federal Government College Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State.
5. She bagged a degree in Theater Arts from the University of Port-Harcourt.
6. Rita started performing at the age of 5. She appeared in school plays and children’s television shows in Imo State.
‘Funny enough, I had all the encouragement I needed when I was a kid. I have done this since I was five. There was never any objection. I still remember my mother buying me books, getting me prepared for all the variety shows for the weekend. When I come back from school, I do my home work after which we start preparing for the variety shows for the weekend.’
7.Her first major movie was in 1998 [A Time to Kill.]
8. She has acted in over a 100 Nollywood productions and produced some of hers.
9. She is a very shy person.
I’m a very shy person. People don’t believe it because I’m an actor. Actors are the most shy people in the world because we get to hide behind characters. We are comfortable playing those characters we hide behind. When it is time for us to be ourselves, we are usually shy. I told a friend that I have different personalities. When I’m on the red carpet, I have to wear a certain personality.
10. She has won several awards to include the Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role in 2012.
I am not surprised. Because of how thorough AMAA is with the screening and the criteria, I always felt when you do a good film you will be recognized for it, whether in Nigeria, Kenya or elsewhere. I put in a lot of work in that film because I love the character, I love the story. It could have still easily been a Nigerian story. It doesn’t have to do with being a Kenyan film. I just felt that at that point in time maybe that was the first of the films that I had done in recent time that I have come out that AMAA saw and they felt it was time to award me for that.
Do you think you know her more than we do? get back to us from the comment box below. from all of us at Reterdeen
, we say thanks for your time.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY