British-Nigerian actor and producer, David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo needs little or no introduction in the movie world. The actor was born on 1st April 1976 in Oxford, England to Nigerian parents.
Here are 10 things you should know about him.
1. He was born on 1st April 1976 in Oxford, England to Nigerian parents.
2. Stephen Oyelowo, his dad, worked for an airline company and his mother worked for a railway company.
3. David bagged a degree from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) and received the “Scholarship for Excellence” from Nicholas Hytner in 1998.
4. He is from a royal family in Nigeria.
My dad has tribal marks on his cheeks, he has four gashes in each cheek, which is very much part of the Yoruba tribe. … If anyone messed with me at school, my dad would say, “Tell them — look, see these marks on my face? I fought with a tiger, so they don’t want to touch my son.” So I believed for years that my dad had wrestled a tiger, which is why he had these marks on his cheeks. So, of course, at some point I realized that that was a load of bologna so when he was then saying that we were from a royal family I was like, “Yeah, whatever.” But then we shipped up in Nigeria and we lived on Oyelowo Street, named after my family, and we lived on the Oyelowo Compound. … It was a very bizarre cultural thing to adapt to, going back.
5. He was nominated at the 2013 Independent Spirit Awards and the 44th Annual NAACP Image Awards for Best Supporting Actor.
6. David married Jessica Oyelowo in 1998 and they are blessed with two beautiful children name; Asher and Caleb Oyelowo.
7. He has worked with top acts such as Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker, Zac Efron, Nicole Kidman and Matthew McConaughey to mention a few.
8. He started his acting career on stage and impressed many when he acted in the stage play Suppliants at the Gate Theatre playing King Palasgus. David went on to receive the Ian Charleson award commendation.
9. He became the first black actor to play an English king for the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) with his role of Henry VI, The role won helped him snag the IIan Charleson Award and an Evening Standard award nomination.
10. David also won the Royal Television Society Award for Best Actor. He was also nominated for a BAFTA for the same role.
If you know more about David Oyelowo, let us know in the comment section.