Rapper Ycee born Oludemilade Martin Alejo is one of the promising acts in Africa, many can not get enough of.
Here are 10 things to know about the rapper.
1. His real name is Oludemilade Martin Alejo. He was born on 29 January 1993 to an Igbo mother and Yoruba father in Festac town.
READ ALSO: 10 Things About Kcee That Will WOW You
“I grew up in Festac, and it was a very good learning experience. My childhood experiences shaped me into who I am today.”
2. For his primary education, he attended Dr. Soyemi Memorial Nursery and Primary School before proceeding to Nigerian Navy Secondary School in Ojo.
3. His childhood dream was to become a professional footballer.
Football! I’m good footballer, but there is a big question mark on my fitness right now. If I wasn’t doing music, I would probably be in one academy somewhere trying to be the next Ronaldinho or Messi.
4. He is studying for a Degree in Marine Biology at the University of Lagos currently.
5. He started his music career in 2012, as an underground rapper before he got signed to Tinny Entertainment.
6. Ycee released the hit track “Condo” featuring Patoranking in 2015. The single snagged the Best Collaboration of the Year and Best Music Video of the Year nominations at the 2015 Nigerian Entertainment Awards.
7. He released another hit single titled “Jagaban” then went on to do a remix with Olamide, which earned him even more exposure.
After we recorded Jagaban with Olamide, he heard and liked it. He went on Twitter to ask if I would love to do the remix, and he would love to be on it. I didn’t waste any time before I said yes to him. I happy with the way everything turned out including the video.”
8. He has snagged a couple of nominations since the start of his career to include Revelation of the Year at the 2015 MTV Africa Music Awards and Best Artist in African Pop at the 2015 All Africa Music Awards.
9.He won Rookie of the Year award at the 2015 Headies Awards.
10. He almost quit music at some point.
”At some point, I almost quit the music, cause I felt like it wasn’t going to work out.”
”I felt like the label was putting a lot on the line for me, cause they were funding the videos and taking care of most of what I was doing, they took care of my first single, which was produced by .
I also worked with at the time and a whole bunch of people, and it felt like a lot of expenses were being incurred and we were not just getting the desired results.
Not that many people knew Ycee or accepted my music at the time, I felt like maybe this just isn’t meant to be, so I remember coming to the label and saying to them, I feel like I don’t want to do music anymore.
I just wanted to stop and go back to school and that was when i actually realized that a lot of people have actually invested in me, so me coming out to say I just want to quit, when the people that believe in me and are pushing me still have faith, it felt like a selfish decision,
so the label decided that I take some time off the music and we see what to do about it afterwards”.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY