She has done a great job staying away from controversies and news for a very long time until her name was again brought up after OAP Benny Ark claimed Kizz Daniel’s F**k You viral song was about her. READ ALSO: 5 Things You Probably Did Not Know About Yemi Alade
Here are 10 things everyone should know about the amazing singer.
- She was born Chidinma Ekile in Ketu, Lagos on 2 May 1991,
Growing up wasn’t so easy. I grew up in Ketu, Lagos. I have six siblings and I’m the last. We all sing. I didn’t have everything I wanted as a child but it was comfortable enough. Both parents are from Imo state. I had both primary and secondary education in Ketu. I was almost writing my Post_UME when I went for project fame. My intention was to continue my education when I came back from Project Fame.
2. She abandoned school for a while to focus on music. In an interview with Vanguard, she said;
I didn’t have so much experience in music. I was just a church singer. I merely gave Project Fame a try.
3. She started singing at the age of 6.
My mum said I started singing at six. Music is a part of me and being in the academy is one experience you won’t want to waste away. That’s why.
4. She hit the limelight in 2010, after she won MTN Project Fame West Africa competition. On her time in the house, she said;
The Academy was fun; meeting people with different backgrounds. We learnt from the teachers even with the tough times-Mummy J, Uncle Ben, Kaffy… Miss Ige actually taught me a lot. She taught me how to control my voice. I have this very loud voice and I tried so much to tune it down.
5. She has worked with great acts such as Flavour, Banky W, Phyno, Legendary beatz, Olamide, Muna, to mention a few.
6. She is quite tough and hardly shows emotion.
That’s how I grew up. My father is a disciplinarian. I went through a whole lot of hell. Did he forbid you from crying or showing any form of emotions? It’s only made me stronger.
7. The likes of Mariah Carey, Fela Kuti, Whitney Houston, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, Alicia Keys and Darey Art Alade, are some of her mentors.
8. Her single “Emi Ni Baller” featuring Tha Suspect and Illbliss was an instant hit which went on to top charts.
9. She has snagged many awards since joining the industry to include the Best Female West African Act award at the Kora Awards in 2012, Best Pop Extra Video at the Nigeria Music Video Awards 2013.
10. She bagged a couple of endorsement deals to include one with MTN.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE WITH YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND GET MORE OF THIS EVERYDAY