Born Aituaje Aina Vivian Ebele Iruobe on 1 September in Ondo State, Nigeria, singer Waje has continued to prove she is worth all the love and attention she is getting.
Waje is the first child and the first daughter in her family and won the Musician of the Year category at the 2013 City People Awards.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the beautiful female vocalist, Waje:
1. Waje was born as Aituaje Aina Vivian Ebele Iruobe on 1 September in Ondo State, Nigeria.
2. She graduated from the Word of faith Group of Schools where she also joined the choir.
I started early enough. I was singing in my church choir. I would gate crash and go to sing at shows. And whenever I heard that my school is doing something, I would go and plead with them to allow me perform. And at the end of every show, they would give me transport fare to go home. Those were the kind of things I did.
3. Waje bagged a degree in social work from the University of Nigeria.
4. Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin are some of her musical inspirations.
5. She mentioned in an interview that she is a proud single mother.
When people ask the question how you feel as a single mother, I don’t get it because, regardless of the circumstances, a child is a blessing from God. Whether the father is there or not, a child is a huge blessing from God. So, when people ask how I feel as a single mother, I don’t understand. Do they expect me to regret being a single mother?
I don’t regret my past. If you see my daughter, you know I have no regrets. This is the picture of my daughter(she scrolls through her phone to the point where her daughter is). Is she not worthy to be called my daughter? In fact, if you have this type of daughter, you would feel so fantastic to be a single mother.
6. She gained some level of fame with her feature on Psqaure’s 2008 hit track “Do Me”. She was also featured on Banky W’s “Thief My Kele” and M.I’s “One Naira”.
7. She has an organisation called Waje’s Safe House, where she works with other NGOs quarterly to help fight for youth cause.
8. She is one of the judges on the Voice Nigeria.
9. She has worked with top stars like Diamond Platnumz, eLDEE, Lynxxx, Banky W, Patoranking and P-Square amongst other.
10. Waje has been nominated for several awards and won a couple.