Queen Elizabeth II is unarguably the most popular monarch in the world. She has been in the public eye for a long time but few know much about the woman behind the crown. Here are some things you might not know about this regal icon:
1. Queen Elizabeth never went to school. She and her sister, Princess Margaret, were taught by private tutors at home.
2. She was not expected to become queen. Her uncle, Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII), abdicated in order to marry American socialite Wallis Simpson. As a result, her father ascended the throne, making her first in line to the throne.
3. She and her husband Philip are actually related. They share a mutual relation, Queen Victoria, making them third cousins.
4. In the year 1993, the queen encountered a good number of disasters: a fire erupted at Windsor palace, and her three children – Prince Charles, Prince Andrew and Princess Anne – split form their spouses. According to the queen, this was her “Annus horribilis” (horrible year).
5. At the age of 14, she wanted to go participate in World War II. However, she made a lot of efforts geared towards boosting the morale of British children. During a radio broadcast, she said: “I can truthfully say to you all that we children at home are full of cheerfulness and courage. We are trying to do all we can to help our gallant sailors, soldiers, and airmen and we are trying too to bear our own share of the danger and sadness of war.”
6. At age 93, Elizabeth is the longest reigning monarch in history. She ascended the throne upon her father’s death in 1953. The UK Office of National Statistics has confirmed that about 81% of Britons when not alive when she became Queen.
7. The queen’s 66-year-long reign has seen her outlast 14 British Prime Ministers and 13 US presidents.
8. The queen has received a lot of strange gifts during her reign. Among these gifts include live animals such as two tortoises; a seven-year-old bull elephant called Jumbo, and two black beavers. All these animals have been placed under the care of London Zoo.
9. The queen has broken a number of records in the course oher reign. She is 40th monarch of England. On top of that, she is the oldest monarch to have ever celebrated a Golden Jubilee. She also became the first monarch to celebrate her diamond wedding anniversary and her platinum wedding anniversary.
10. The queen has an ATM to herself and it is provided by Coutts, one of Great Britain’s most prestigious banks.
What other regal facts about the queen do you know? Let us know in the comment section below.