Depression has alway been a misunderstood condition in the society. While some people get sad sometimes, others suffer from chronic depression which is more subtle and can make life feel unbearable. Being misunderstood by people who do not know what depression is like also makes things worse and only serves to isolate the depressed individual the more.
Here are 10 quotes about depression that will help you know that you’re not alone,understand it better, and inspire you to overcome it.
1. I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare. – Ned Vizzini
2. People talk about physical fitness, but mental health is equally important. I see people suffering, and their families feel a sense of shame about it, which doesn’t help. One needs support and understanding. I am now working on an initiative to create awareness about anxiety and depression and help people. – Deepika Padukone
3. Being sad and being depressed are two different things. Also, people going through depression don’t look so, while someone sad will look sad. The most common reaction is, ‘How can you be depressed? You have everything going for you. You are the supposed number one heroine and have a plush home, car, movies… What else do you want?’ – Deepika Padukone
4. Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
5. If you don’t think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.- Kris Carr
6. Aim high and don’t sell yourself short. Know that you’re capable. Understand that a lot of people battle with a lot of things – depression, body image or whatever else – so know that it’s not just you. You’re not alone. – Holly Holm
7. Aim high and don’t sell yourself short. Know that you’re capable. Understand that a lot of people battle with a lot of things – depression, body image or whatever else – so know that it’s not just you. You’re not alone. – Holly Holm
8. I’ve always liked depressing music because a lot of times, listening to it when you’re down can actually make you feel less depressed. Also, even though a person may have problems with depression, sometimes you can actually be kind of comfortable in that space because you know how to operate within it. – Chris Cornell
9. A lot of people don’t realize that depression is an illness. I don’t wish it on anyone, but if they would know how it feels, I swear they would think twice before they just shrug it. – Jonathan Davis
10. When you study postpartum depression, there is a very clear understanding that in communities where you see more support, there is less depression. – Ariel Gore
If you liked these quotes, share it with friends and loved ones who you think may be depressed.