Nollywood actor and musician, Gabriel Afolayan is one actor many have come to love since his emergence on the scene over 10 years ago., The actor is the son of renowned actor Ade Love, filmmaker Kunle Afolayan and actress Aremu Afolayan.
Here are 10 things you probably do not know about Gabriel Afolayan
1, Gabriel was born on March 1st in Lagos but hails from Agbamu, Kwara State.
Although I’m from Kwara State, I was born in Lagos and grew up in Ibadan. I’m a graduate of Theatre Arts and a theatre practitioner. Also, and very importantly, I am a proud Nigerian.
2. He bagged a degree in Theater Arts from the University of Ibadan.
3. His father is the iconic Nigerian entertainer Adeyemi Afolayan popularly known as Ade Love.
4. He has worked alongside top acts like OC Ukeje, Chelsea Eze, Bimbo Akintola, Dimeji Ajibola and Ijeoma Agu to mention a few.
5. He is the younger brother to ace filmmaker Kunle Afolayan and Moji Afolayan.
READ ALSO: 10 Celebrities Who Are In Fact Siblings
6. His music career started in 1997, with a group in Ibadan. Gabriel in an interview also revealed that he has always been part of the choir.
I have been a musician since the nineties. I remember then that I used to move around as a one-man band. I also served as a musician in the churches I attended. I established my craft by joining the choir and also forming my own musical groups. Music wasn’t just about me singing; it involved other things, such as learning how to play instruments. I decided to go fully into it in 2011, dropping my first official single, Kokoro Ife (Love Bug). I must admit that it was one of the best things that happened in my life. It was widely accepted.
7. In an interview that actor revealed that tip acts like 2Face, Banky W, Aṣa and Bez are his musical influences.
8. He snagged the award for the Best Supporting Actor for the film, Hoodrush at the 2013 Africa Movie Academy Awards.
9. Gabriel has also snagged a couple of nominations to include the Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Best Actor in a Leading Role for the film, First Cause at the 2013 Nollywood Movies Awards.
10. He hit the limelight with his role in Tade Ogidan’s Madam Dearest.
My breakthrough in acting was when I had an awesome outing with the person I regard as the best director in Nigeria, Tade Ogidan. He made it happen in his work titled, Madam Dearest. It was a great story with interesting plots and characters. I played the role of Dosu and it was so much fun. We made magic with that project and it is still talked about in the industry. For my music, I would say my breakthrough was my first single, Love Bug, crowned with my follow-up single, Awelewa. The video was directed by my wonderful brother, Kunle Afolayan, and it was shot on the beautiful island of Seychelles.