The news of Stan Lee’s death rocked the Marvel Universe in 2018. He was the man behind most of the comic heroes we have now come to love both on print, film, and television.
After his death, fans across the world reckoned that the MCU won’t be the same without him.
Here are 10 facts about the legendary comic book writer:
1. He was a prolific artist who created several fictional characters alongside Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Some of his creations include Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Dare Devil, Thor, and X-Men amongst others.
2. Stan Lee appears to have been an agnostic in his lifetime. When asked in an interview on whether he believed in God, he said: ” “Well, let me put it this way… [Pauses.] No, I’m not going to try to be clever. I really don’t know. I just don’t know.”
3. He was legendary for his ability to humanise heroes. He didn’t want them to just be stoic characters who showed no emotion. Rather, he created them in such a way as to show that they too could encounter problems.
4. Stan Lee’s famous cameo roles in many Marvel movies was due to the contract he signed with Marvel. A clause in the contract specified that he appeared in any film based on one of his characters. He was always paid for his cameos so this wasn’t much of a problem.
5. His favourite super villain was Dr. Doom. He thought that Dr. Doom is/was misunderstood and that just because he wants to rule the world doesn’t necessarily make him a 100% villain.
6. When he was 40, Stan Lee almost dumped his career because he thought he was getting too old to write comics.
7. Fun fact: the hulk Stan Lee created wasn’t green, but gray. Hulk got the green colour due to a printing error!
8. He created most of his characters’ names to have the same first letter (Peter Park, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards) because he was able to better remember the names this way.
9. When he was 91, he spoke about death in an interview with Playboy. He said: “You know, my motto is ‘Excelsior.’ That’s an old word that means ‘upward and onward to greater glory.’ It’s on the seal of the state of New York. Keep moving forward, and if it’s time to go, it’s time. Nothing lasts forever.”
10. Stan Lee once revealed he never went to the barbing saloon as an adult. According to him, “My whole adult life, I’ve never been to a barber,” he writes. “Joanie always cuts my hair.”
Which other comic facts would you like to see? Tell us in the comment section below.